Cleaning primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick00

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to start my Gewürztraminer wine kit today. I only have one primary fermenter which I've already used to start a chardonnay. It's been transferred to a Carboy and the primary plastic fermenter was washed with water and sanitized. Do I need to perform any other washing techniques before switching to a different wine to avoid taste contamination of any kind or am I good to go? I've been told to use separate primary's only when making beer and wine, thanks!

Hey guys, I want to start my Gewürztraminer wine kit today. I only have one primary fermenter which I've already used to start a chardonnay. It's been transferred to a Carboy and the primary plastic fermenter was washed with water and sanitized. Do I need to perform any other washing techniques before switching to a different wine to avoid taste contamination of any kind or am I good to go? I've been told to use separate primary's only when making beer and wine, thanks!

Since it is clean and sanitized and doesn't still smell of Chardonnay, it should be fine to use.

Hey robie, thanks yeah the smell is extremely faint from the previous wine. I wasn't sure if it was common practice to use some sort of strong chemical cleaner after each batch or not.

If you're not sure you could always clean it with oxy clean. If you make some wild a$$ wine like Jalapeno you will need to clean several times and let it soak a few days also. Guess how I know that? Nothing like having a $130 kit of Riesling with a Jalapeno taste. Hard lesson learned on my part.

If you're not sure you could always clean it with oxy clean. If you make some wild a$$ wine like Jalapeno you will need to clean several times and let it soak a few days also. Guess how I know that? Nothing like having a $130 kit of Riesling with a Jalapeno taste. Hard lesson learned on my part.

Good to know!

Back