Clarifying

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axwilson18

Junior
Reaction score
My wine has been clarifying for about two weeks now. Is there any benefit to racking it into another carboy for a few more days to allow further clarifying away from the sediment before bottling or should I leave it where it is?

You should always rack your wine until there is no sediment left in the bottom of your carboy before bottling.

I would wait 3-4 weeks before racking. Let more sediment fall. Rack as needed till clear

After transferring from primary to secondary, I generally wait about 3 weeks then rack into clean carboy. After that I'll rack about every 4-6 weeks depending on how much lees are still falling.

I'd wait a couple more weeks before racking. Even if you did rack now and wait for a "few more days", you would drop very little sediment in those few days. At this stage, it takes quite a bit longer to drop sediment.

My wine ages for at least five or six months before I even start to think about bottleing it

I'm just getting ready to start bottling the batches that i started last Oct & Nov.

I need so much more patience with clarifying!

Oct/Nov... I need to find somewhere not too cold to rest mine, it can't stay in the kitchen for that long!

I need so much more patience with clarifying!

Oct/Nov... I need to find somewhere not too cold to rest mine, it can't stay in the kitchen for that long!

Put it in the back of your close closet. In a pinch, bottled wine can be stored under your bed. Improvise!!! :try

I didn't specify that I'm clarifying a kit wine. Its a WE Selection International Argentine Malbec. Even thought the instructions say it only needs to clarify for about two or three weeks, I'll let it clarify as long as it needs to. When I rack it into another carboy, should I top it off again?

AX,

After your wine has finished fermenting in the secondary you want to top up any time you rack it. I always rack my wines, kits and fruit wines, as many times as necessary to get rid of all the sediment. I generally age all my wines at least 6 months to a year before bottleing.

LOUMIK

I have never seen so much sediment. My Chilean Malbec and Pinot Noir are dropping sediment like last winters snow. While transferring it, I held a small glass aside for tasting, (for one week old it was very good), and within about 10 minutes the bottom of the glass had 1/4 in. of sed on the bottom. I hope that means that the wine will be exceptional. :b

It's been clarifying for about 15 days so I checked the clarity last night. It actually looks very good. The taste wasn't bad either. It did seem like there was some CO2 in there so would there be any problem with racking it into another carboy and mixing it again?

Latest posts

Back