Christmas Bone-Us

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Well instead of getting a bonus or party this year they are going to give us the Monday before Christmas off unpaid! If thats not great enough in itself, they are going to do this for New Years also! Nice , 2 bad paychecks in row. All this after they cut all our overtime out and had 1 of their best years in awhile.
23_1_138.gif

Edited by: wade

I agree, it sucks!

Business decisions are hard to make sometimes, specially when it involves the people that you need to function to begin with. I'm sure most business owners have reason to do what they do when it comes to financial matters, but thats not something that will be openly discussed, so the anticipation of employee ridicule and in some cases retaliation is expected, a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

We cut the size of our company this year by almost 3 million dollars. In other words, we got rid of 3 million dollars of "BAD" business. Like most businesses, 80% of our revenue comes from 20% of our customers, the others were costing us money to do business with them, not a good decision. We went from a 5% loss to a huge profit margins in just a couple of months. However we are still cautious of cash flow. So although we have more money at hand, it's still business as usual.

I know all that doesn't help at a time like this but there is always another perspective that must be considered when you are trying to decipher another's decisions.

I'm just thankful I have a job that they can let me off from on Monday. However, they are paying us. They just made it an unscheduled Holiday.

I fully understand cutting the overtime as that is a big payroll burden. We are a little behind as this is the time of year when everyone wants their stairs to complete the house so they are rushing us every day and pushing hard which I too understand, Taking this extra day off which pushes us back another day off schedule makes no sense.

It's always hard when you work for a small company. Most of the time they have to watch their dollars spent and the workers are where they cut first. They also are probably trying to take into consideration everyone's desire to have a long weekend so some may travel to loved ones homes. A lot of folks like to have Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve days off so they aren't so rushed. If they had made you guys work, someone would be really sore about that also. Productivity is never good anyways the day before a major holiday. Keep the chin up and consider you are lucky to have had a good job all year.
smiley4.gif

I feel your pain about short paychecks-especially this time of year. I am giving my wife the money given to me by her parents for Christmas before they headed south for the winter. Since she missed quite a bit of work after her operations, she has been short on cash and has no money for Christmas presents. My hope is that she can have a good Christmas herself by having a little money for gifts for the kids. To me that will be the best gift I can get. I wouldn't be able to give her extra money this year for shopping since the housing market slump. I do house plan design and drafting, so my income is in a valley about now.

Corporate America does the same thing with cutting the worker first to save cash since it is easy and has a big impact. I agree two unpaid days off hurts this time of the year due to the season and prices of fuel but try to make the best of it and enjoy the time off.

The company I used to work for would give the day before Christmas to the day after New Year off. It was up to the person if they wanted vacation pay. This worked well for the company and employes, as who gives 100% the day before Christmas any way with all the parties going on.

Wade, sorry to hear about your lost wages. It is a real bummer, especially considering the time of year. We are closed Monday before Christmas and New Year's and Mark wants to know why we are going to be open on Wednesday as he wants that day off, as well. I told him "Money", duh!

Running a business and making the decisions is not easy, but I do like it better than allowing someone else to decide my fate. Let grow this business so I can hire more people and put satellite stores accross the country. I promise to be fair to my employees!

In my line of work (cheese) working holidays, weekends, nights...you learn to accept thats the way it is. The best you hope for is somehow your schedule has a day off falling on a holiday. I will be working Christmas and New Years, Just tell myself and my operators we are at the safest place to be these times of year. Since they are company recognized holidays our operators do get double time for working them, being salaried I get the satisfaction of knowing they get double time!
smiley36.gif

I too have to work every holiday this year. It gets old but you get used to it. I think next year the schedule falls where I have Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years off. Wish they would just leave the 911 phone off the hook and all stay home.

My wife runs a small business with 30 employees and while we will give a Christmas party and bonuses this year, they will be much smaller than in the past. Our employees can blame big business for their reduction of benefits, namely the energy companies and the insurance companies. Our utilities has risen from an average $1500 a month to right at 5K a month. Our insurance premiums have more than tripled since Hurricane Katrina and Rita. Our Workman's Comp has quadrupled from one claim in 35 years of business from a permanently disabling injury to an employee (cook) that spilled food on the floor herself, didn't clean her mess up and then slips and falls in the mess. I somehow doubt any of those companies had any type reduction of their profit margins.
As you can see these vastly increased expenses are out of the control and while one can raise rates, if you do too much too fast, you will have no customers. While we still generate a profit, it is a much slimmer margin and thats where extras like bonuses and parties come from.

From my experiences, most small businesses, particularly those that have been in business for years with long time employees are very generous with Christmas bonuses. Feel lucky you don't work for a government organization. You never get them and in my situation, you work most holidays. I do get paid double time and a half to work one but in honesty, I would rather be home with my family. Hopefully this next year the profit margins are better for your company. It sounds like they have taken care of you in the past. Hopefully it is just a temporary setback and thing will turn around.

Edited by: smurfe

I have off Christmas & New Year's, but the city is debating giving Christmas Eve & New Years Eve as holidays this year. It would be paid, but I have to do the paying & they're if theygive those who provide the data for payroll off, how do they expect me to pay the weekly employees.

All I got was a blank stare when I asked. Wonderful planning!!!!!

I got an email this morning telling me that President Bush has given me Christmas Eve off with pay. I was planning to work that day.

Given the lack of people that will be here between Christmas and New Years, and the fact that I am having a 57" LCD HDTV mounted in our conference room next week, I think I will bring a bunch of DVD's in to occupy myself during the week.

PeterZ said:
I got an email this morning telling me that President Bush has given me Christmas Eve off with pay. I was planning to work that day.

Given the lack of people that will be here between Christmas and New Years, and the fact that I am having a 57" LCD HDTV mounted in our conference room next week, I think I will bring a bunch of DVD's in to occupy myself during the week.

I thought you were going to say that the TV was being mounted on your living room wall!
smiley36.gif
Maybe you could redirect the installer to your house. Think anybody would notice?
smiley3.gif

This one of the most interesting threads I've read on this forum.

It brings a bit of reality to the user names I've enjoyed seeing post
here and who are helping me with this new hobby. We are a cross section
of the middle class of this country and it reminds me we all have much
to be thankful for.

I had a business with employees for almost 20 yrs. Struggled with the
same things mentioned by others here - always worried about cash flow
and staying profitable, getting adequate business to keep good
emplyees, fairness in dealing with them their families and our
customers, increasing insurance costs, even moved locations a few times
- the whole ball of wax.

Looking back in my seventh decade, I see I was lucky to have all
of it. The struggle was good for me, some of my former emplyees have
become friends, and some of my customers keep calling me back to do
projects for them.

My office has a set number of days off each year. Same number, year after year, but it's up to the guys in ties to decide where they fall. Some years, if I want to be off on Christmas eve, I have to take a full day of vacation to do that. I have to work on New Years eve day, and I know I won't be able to get much done other than administrative work, as no one wants a phone call from me on New Years eve day. But yet, my boss expects a certain level of production from me. In her eyes, that is fair. I don't blame her because her boss expects the same thing. After growing up in the 70s when so many people were unemployed and under employed, I just have to be thankful that I have a job that I love. Compared to all sorts of other places that I could live, I think I'm just fine with paradox in which I live. I have no soldiers with guns in my streets, I have a house with heat and food in it, and if homeland security is monitoring my phone and computer usage, I have satifaction in the knowledge that they must be bored to tears!
smiley36.gif

I gave out the Christmas bonuses last week to my employees. I have a weird method of figuring the amount for that one person. It's based on gross income,employee wage, and how long they been with the company. One guy got mad, thinking he should have gottenmore and quit. Employee wages are my biggest cost so I tend to take of them first but sometimes they don't return the favor.

Someone got a bonus and quit, now that is just pure stupidity. Our company had 1 of its best years this year due to getting rid of dead weight and cutting out the O.T. with which i fully understand as i was once management at another stair co. and i know where everyone is going with all this but just just dont think this is the way to repay us for busting our hump. They have also removed the 401K in which they didnt match anything, went to a worthless insurance in which i dont use so that dont bother me. I would just at east like a thank you guys for a job well done this year.

Latest posts

Back