Chocolate Strawberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be back sweetening this batch with some simple syrup. If need be Ill be adding some strawberry syrup and some chocolate extract which I have purchased just in case it needs a boost in flavor.

20080906_144852_Chocolate_Straw.jpg

That chocolate strawberry wine sounds delicious i was thinking about making one my self but im not sure how to go about it.Would sure be greateful for some pointers in the right direction.

4 – 5 lbs fresh strawberries

2 1/2 lbs sugar (sg 1.110) I don’t agree with this and
like to start my fruit wines at an SG of 1.085 which will require modifying the
amount of sugar and adjusting down.</span>

1tsp acid blend

1/2 tsp Pectic enzyme

1tsp yeast nutrient

1/8 tsp tannin

4oz.(1/2 cup) Hershey's cocoa powder

1 gallon water

Follow the normal procedures for wine making with the exception of adding the
chocolate. Remove 1 cup must put in food processor turn on low speed and add
cocoa slowly and mix for about one minute then add to primary fermenter and
stir in. You can also use frozen strawberries acquired at your local store. to adjust for a bigger batch just multiply everything times what size you want to make except for yeast. 1 packet of yeast is good for up to and including 6 gallons.

Edited by: wade

Thanks for the recipe Wade.I think im going to try a batch in a week or so.

Hi Wade ,
Thanks, I will be making this recipe very soon. I have been looking for a strawberry chocolate wine for some time.

I have one question:I have noticed in your pictures that you have speakers on each side of your Wine. What music would you recommend to help the wine ferment and flavor for this recipe? "Strawberry Wine", "Strawberry Hills Forever", "The Chocolate Song"
smiley4.gif
I am thinking "Strawberry Hills Forever"
smiley1.gif

Thats perty interesting. Ive heard allot that chocolate tastesnasty after fermented. I was assuming people used different fruit combos and yeast to produce chocolate notes in countrywine. This is pretty enlightening
smiley1.gif
. Looken good.

That combo just makes my mouth water...

How is it tasting???? Can you taste both the strawberry and Chocolate???

Its a little young and this is my first batch of this and it is Jack Keller's recipe. Im thinking that there could be a little more cocoa added but will see after it has sat a little more. I have strawberry syrup and chocolate extract that I will probably add for my taste.
As for song choice I like War - Spill The Wine

Wade:

Why not take a gallonof your must from the carboy to a one gallon jug. Then remove a cup or two from the one gallon jugandadd your sugar to that one cup quantity.Then addthat back to your carby and taste and sg test it.

Repeat this process from the 1 gallon jug till you get the right sweetness and then top off with what's left in the one gallon jug?

The balance in the gallon jug (that's displaced by the sugar) you can save or consume right then.

Handyman.

I have sweetened it up using a Strawberry frozen Daiquiri mix and added the chocolate extract to my taste and must say it is very nice now, cant wait till its really got some time under its belt.

Grumpy said:
Have any of you tries this with cherry

Chocolate Cherry Vanilla might be an interesting flavor................ What say you grumpy?

Okay heres an update on this wine which just became a port! It was nice but I wasnt satisfied with it so I played around with it some more today and now its done!!!!!!!!!! It was missing something still and i couldnt put my hand on it so I pulled a quart out and got drunk, umm I mean I kept smpling till all was great or i couldnt poor anymore!
smiley36.gif
It came downto adding 1 1/2 pints of E&amp;J Brandy and the strawberry syrup which brings it up to 16% give or take a little but now is out of this world smooth and viscous. YUM, as good or better then the W.E Raspberry Choc. in my opinion and will enter it in the competition through George!

wade said:
Okay heres an update on this wine which just became a port! It was nice but I wasnt satisfied with it so I played around with it some more today and now its done!!!!!!!!!! It was missing something still and i couldnt put my hand on it so I pulled a quart out and got drunk, umm I mean I kept smpling till all was great or i couldnt poor anymore!
smiley36.gif
It came downto adding 1 1/2 pints of E&amp;J Brandy and the strawberry syrup which brings it up to 16% give or take a little but now is out of this world smooth and viscous. YUM, as good or better then the W.E Raspberry Choc. in my opinion and will enter it in the competition through George!

Wade, this wasn't akin to the gal sitting at the other end of the bar looking better and better with each drink you had is it?
smiley36.gif

Chocolate cherry vanilla huh. sounds good.Right now i try just about anything,I love experimenting but cant seem to find enough carboy's not to sure the wife is to keen on all this but i love it.

Wade,
If you can still focus on the screen, how did you even think to add brandy?? That receipe looks very good am going to try it.

Well it needed a boost and most of the chocolate wines are Ports which are either chaptalized(spelling?) or fortified with a brandy. I somehow
smiley4.gif
had somehow available and decided to kick it up a notch and lost a little strawberry flavor and had the strawberry syrup in my fridge as I was going to use this to sweeten my wine in the 1st place so in some went.

Nice.......

now how long will it be bottled before ready? are you bulk aging any?

I will bulk age it for awhile to make sure that it is not dropping any lees as it might after adding the syrup but right now it is very clear. It tastes awesome already though so it doesnt really need any more aging IMO besides making sure nothing else drops out.

Hey Wade, if you have never tried any of the Oregon fruit bases you mightwant to givethata try on your next go around. I have used them before with great results. For the chocolate flavor try the chocolate liquer that George sells. Its about a 2 oz. bottle but alittle goes a long way.

Back