WineXpert Chocolate Port Kit question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemom

Reaction score
Tonight I got to the step where I had to remove 2 cups of wine from the carboy to make room for the F-Pack. I was very surprised to find that I had to take out 4 cups to fit it in. After adding everything and topping up, I still have just under 4 cups in a quart jar with a screw cap. Is that unusual to have so much left over from a kit wine?

Should I do anything in particular with this jar? Refrigerate it, or just leave it out at the same temperature as the carboy?

Also, the wine didn't taste particularly good - of course that was after I had stirred up the sediment and added chitosan and chemicals - I assume it will taste better after it clears and ages a bit?

It will definately get better! I put what I removed in a bottle under airlock and let it clear. Can't remmember if I drank it or used it to top off later.

sounds about right. I had bottled a 375ml and probably drank at least one glass at that point. I'll probably use the bottle to top off when I rack off the clearing agents or drink it soon if I decide to top up with brandy.

I pulled the 2 cups or so from the carboy and added most of the F-pack, then mixed well. Then pulled a bit more from the carboy and added it to the initial 2 cups. Topped off the carboy with the rest of the F-pack and a little more of it to the jug. So, I ended up with another quart of CRP, which after it cleared, was consumed with much excitement in anticipation of what was to come.

Everyone one that tasted the preview was amazed how good it was and that was just a couple of weeks out. They have already asked a few times if I had any more of that chocolate stuff. Forget the very good Zin, Cabernet, Chardonnay, Muller-Thurgow, Blackberry-Cabernet, Apple, Cranberry and Jalapeño wines that I have in the cellar, they want the chocolate stuff.

Winemom, same thing here also. I had about 375ml. over before I fortified my CRP. After clearing and stabilizing for a few weeks I added my brandy, now have about a bottles worth over. I "sampled" some and will have enough for dessert on Thanksgiving. I bulk age the rest. BTW it taste really good.

After adding the f-pack, I had 3-375ml bottles left. I used two of them to top off after reracking, and left another one in my collection of supplies, while the CRP quietly aged for six months in the basement. I found the extra bottle a month ago, and enjoyed it. I finally bottled the CRP in 20-375ml bottles and 6-750 bottles after adding brandy to get to 18% (I was able to ferment to 16.7% abv). I'll break some open for wider sampling for Thanksgiving.

I made this kit in October of 2011, bulk aged it for a year, and bottled it last month. It is REALLY good! I've put some back for more long term aging, but the bulk of it will be distributed to my friends, family and colleagues for Christmas next month.

Hello.....Winemom and other members, i`m starting my kit this weekend, I have a couple questions...after primary ferm...(3 gallon batch)..can i rack it into a 5 gallon CB for secondary? is that to much of a headspace?...`i`m thinking with the little bit of water from step feeding ...and after secondary ferm stops,and addin fpac...adding the rest of the additives i was thinking of adding 1.5L of brandy...then bulk agging....not a good idea?....of should i add the brandy at bottling....add just do my secondary in a 3 gallon CB..

Let's see, I think that's too much headroom IMO, usually when I rack wine I end up with a void that will be filled by 1 liter or less of wine. CO2 will fill that headroom, but I am more comfortable with less space.

I made the CRP pretty much to the directions, for a LaBodega Port that I just racked, FVW's recommended the following, I would imagine your could apply this to your CRP.

Make your first initial rack to either a primary 8 gallon bucket or your 5 gallon carboy, leaving most of the junk behind, add your K-meta, F-pack and brandy, mix well, then transfer to your 3 gallon carboy and another 1/2 or 1 gallon jug for the excess, you can top it off with another wine to fill the jug, let it age for a few months, rack again. About a month before you are ready to bottle, add your sorbate and fining agents, rack again just prior to bottling.

Thanks for the reply Longtrain...i agree with the headspace.the example you gave,is the way i`ll do it....why would you wait that long for fining?the 2 other kits, said add after ferm stop in secondary....that`s how i read it anyway....this is my first winexpert kit,not to crazy about the instructions...and in reading them again,they say do not rack the wine before stabilising and fining..... clearing problems...how long did you age before bottling ...and how long before you enjoyed this port?

You are right, that is contrary to most kit instructions, but the instructions I got with the MM LaBodega kit were very lacking they didn't even mention the use of the F-pack.

WE kits want the lees, bentonite, etc. stirred back into suspension so the the fining agents have something to grab and pull to the bottom of the carboy. Like I said, I followed the instructions for the CRP with the addition of brandy, which i decided to add at the last minute. I racked it again yesterday and there was no sediment at the bottom of the carboy. Now, I plan to let it sit for 3 months and bottle, letting it do more maturing there. They say you can just about drink it out of the carboy, but it depends how long you can stand waiting. Patience is not included in the kits. Taste it along the way, drink it when you're happy with it.

Last edited:
We started ours on 1/17/11 and racked the last time on 9/9/12 and it was very drinkable. We could really taste the chocolate but not much raspberry flavor. We will serve some for Christmas dinner and let the rest age longer, probably Christmas of 2013.

Hi all! I'm not sure if this is the place for this question or not so please, bear with me...and let me know if it should be somewhere else: )

I too am in the primary ferment stage with a double batch of the CRP. I have added the extra sugar and am waiting on the SG to drop so that I can rack to secondary. So my question is this: When, why and how much would I add brandy to the wine? The best that I have been able to surmise thus far is that the brandy is added purely to raise ABV. Correct? Not sure when it should be added, if I should choose to, after secondary fermentation? Just before bottling? How much does this affect the flavor of the wine? I would rather not mess this one up:D

This is only the second wine that I have attempted to make and I chose this one because one of my clients made it last year and was kind enough to share a bottle...let's just say it didn't last the night...lol.

I look forward to your responses!

rezod11

I've made only two ports, the CRP and just racked the LaBodega.

Initially, I was going to make the CRP without adding any brandy, since my wife is a light drinker. But, after removing some of the port to make room for the F-pack, I mixed a little of that port with some brandy, my wife liked it so I added it post fining, etc. Mixed it well, was just fine, hope to bottle early Spring.

The LaBodega Port, the Brady was added along with the F-pack when it was racked following fermentation.

Search the forum for Ports, if I recall there was a bit of information about the process of adding brandy.

rezod11 -

Adding the brandy is just to raise the ABV, and I added it on bottling day after pouring a sample glass. I was able to ferment to 16.7% and I used the Pearson Square calculator here http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/blending.asp to figure out how much brandy to add to get to 18%. Based on my numbers, I needed 1.3 parts of 40 proof brandy and 22 parts of my port to get to 18%. I actually measured the quantity of port (I splashed racked it to get the last of the CO2 out a liter at a time), so I had ll liters of port, and I added 650ml of EJ Gallo VSOP brandy to match the calculations.

rezod11 -

Adding the brandy is just to raise the ABV, and I added it on bottling day after pouring a sample glass. I was able to ferment to 16.7% and I used the Pearson Square calculator here http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/blending.asp to figure out how much brandy to add to get to 18%. Based on my numbers, I needed 1.3 parts of 40 proof brandy and 22 parts of my port to get to 18%. I actually measured the quantity of port (I splashed racked it to get the last of the CO2 out a liter at a time), so I had ll liters of port, and I added 650ml of EJ Gallo VSOP brandy to match the calculations.

ok, i just started this kit about 2 hours ago,first time using oak powder..i can see that`s gonna be fun at racking time!!..i got a reading of 1.130 at 75 degrees...(i`m using a brew belt,and it`s up to 79 now)..that`s if everything works out ok....16.9%...rezod using your calculations i would add 4 liters of brandy to it,to go to 18%....question if i add the brandy after secondary....rack into a 5 gallon carboy..add fpax...rack back into a 3 gallon CB...and smaller jugs....how is that brady going to affect the balance of the wine....PH ,sulfites,ect.?....got another question...i have a 6 gallon of super tuscan ,about 6 weeks in bulk,and amarone about a month in,both under the s type airlock....the tuscan `s isn`t doing anything...no moving back a forth ...the amarone is on the left in the morning and on the right in the afternoon....the tuscan was racked once after secondary....would that be the reason?...no gas?..... OH, should i stir the primary?...once, twice a day?.....thanks

Last edited:
So last night I actually opened a 375ml bottle, sat down and quietly had my first full glass of the CRP after a month in the bottle (after 6 months of bulk aging). Oh my God! It was amazing! Smooth with the subtle flavors of the chocolate and raspberry in the background that lingered on the tongue once the swallow was complete.

Well, I have racked and stabilized. Now, to wait! Six to 18 months? Man, that sounds like a long time right now: (

Thanks you all who have replied! I have learned so much from this forum!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back