Chocolate Blackberry?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneCreek

Reaction score
I was eating some fresh blackberries tonight when I saw one of my boys grab a Ghirardelli chocolate from the pantry. So I decided that the pairing would be good and have decided to do a Chocolate Blackberry wine. I plan on doing a gallon batch at first to try it out. The plan is to make a standard blackberry wine and ferment it to between 1.020-1.010 then rack off of gross lees into the secondary and let it continue to ferment to dry. Then rack it onto about 5oz of dutched cocoa powder and let it bulk age for about two months. What do you think? Have others done this and have a better suggestion? I am very open to new ideas.

the plan was to let the wine age a bit with the cocoa and then use a clearing agent to clear it before bottling and letting it bottle age for at least 6 months or more before tasting. Do you think I should just let it age with the cocoa for six months with no racking and just wait for it to clear on its on and then bottle?

Some have used cocoa, some have used chunks of chocolate bars.. I even went so far as to take some 100% cacao chocolate and let it sit in some vodka.. It's still sitting actually; a sort of, chocolate extract, to add to wines and drinks..

I'd rather go the way of chunks of chocolate myself, as opposed to cocoa.. I'm going to do the same thing as you, with some Blackberry I have.. I just havent tried it yet.. I'll be using extract though.

I can do chunks. Do you have a recommended amount to use or do you think 5 oz will be enough. Since you've done something similar how long would you let it sit on the chocolate before racking and clearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I havent actually combined the chocolate with the blackberry yet, but it's on my to-do list..

But you'll have to add the chocolate, stir the wine as it sits, and taste it.. Rack off the chocolate when the chocolate is just slightly stronger than you'd like it, as the flavor will subside some as time goes on and the aging process happens

It will just come down to your taste

Sounds yummy! I've tried some cocoa nibs in my experimental cab it's due to be racked soon so then I'll see if it has made a difference. Added some to my port also thinking about adding some kind of fruit to it.. raspberry or orange

We make chocolate wine at Christmas every year by mixing some of our cherry or berry wines with some eggnog and Herseys chocolate syrup. Tastes great but because of the eggnog it must be drank within a week to 10 days.

It was suggested to me when researching a chocolate cherry wine that it's better to use as 90% cocoa chocolate bar because cocoa powder tasks so long to clear.

I make several Chocolate wines. I have received 2 double golds and a gold for my Cherry/chocolate The Gold for the Cherry was received at the Nationals in Ohio last year, and a gold for my blackberry/chocolate port. I use 2 bars of lindts 90% cocoa. I put them in the primary at the start and rack over to the secondary then remove at the first rack of the secondary. Most judges have told me that they look for a faint taste of chocolate in a wine and not the overpowering chocolate that most wine makers make.

Latest posts

Back