Chocolate addition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
I've read through several threads about adding chocolate, and many people use a high quality dark chocolate broken into small pieces. I'm just wondering, why not use cocoa powder instead?

You could, there are some who do but you will have clearing issues with the cocoa powder. I use 70% cocoa chocolate, Lindt or Ghirardelli and haven't had any clearing issues.

I am thinking about chocolate in 1 gallon of the strawberry I will be making. At what point do I add the chocolate? How much in 1 gallon? I would prefer to add it to secondary because I am making 2 gallons in a bucket.

I will use the 70% Ghirardelli.

Any feedback on how this will taste?

You could, there are some who do but you will have clearing issues with the cocoa powder. I use 70% cocoa chocolate, Lindt or Ghirardelli and haven't had any clearing issues.

Lindt is one of my favorite chocolates. And now they have all the Easter chocolate out. MMMmmm. So that settled my question on which chocolate to use, lol

when i stabilize and backsweeten, that is when i add the chocolate. for a one gallon probably one 3.75 oz pkg.

There's an excellent article on Jack Keller's website (sorry, I'm a newby and I don't have enough posts to insert a hyperlink) about using chocolate. It includes an interesting recipe for strawberry/chocolate that I am currently making. It shows good promise. If you have time, I highly recommend reading the article by Jack before using any chocolate.

Sorry, about not being able to post a direct link, but if you Goggle "Jack Keller's Wineblog" you should be able to find it. You'll have to scroll quite a ways down the blog to find the article.

As soon as I get enough posts I come back to post the link.

Blessings...Mike

Hey, I have enough posts now.

Here's the LINK to Jack Keller's Wineblog. Again, you have to scroll down the page to find the article on using chocolate.

Julie, I have 6 1/2 gals strawberry in secondary just about to be stabalized and would like to try doing a gal or two up with chocolate, question I still have is how long to leave the chocolate in the wine.

Julie, I have 6 1/2 gals strawberry in secondary just about to be stabalized and would like to try doing a gal or two up with chocolate, question I still have is how long to leave the chocolate in the wine.

I normally leave it in for 2 weeks but I taste it after a month to see how it is coming along.

Back