RJ Spagnols Chilean Merlot infused

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dartan

Junior
Reaction score
new to wine makening want to make a batch Chilean Merlot i want to infused this wine kit with some blackberry what is the best way to do and could i add Turbo Yeast to it

new to all this

I would let it go dry, stabilize, add blackberry f-pac.

dartan...what benefits do you think the Turbo Yeast will provide?

The only Chilean Merlot in the online RJ Spagnols catalogue is the En Primeur. This is an expensive kit. I would NOT advise a newcomer to mess with this kit in any way, especially not switching to Turbo Yeast.

Steve

Remember, you will taste less fruit/flavor the higher the alcohol %

thanks good to know

was trying to raise the avb with the yeast

The Turbo Yeast will not raise the alcohol of this wine appreciably. The yeast included with the kit (probably EC-1118) will probably ferment all of the fermentable sugars.

Turbo Yeast is usually used to ferment a sugar/water solution to 18-20%. Ec-1118 can probably reach that under very good conditions, but won't do it in a sugar/water solution.

What did you want to raise the alcohol level to?

Steve

chilean merlot

like the idea of the enfusion,done this many a time,with fresh blackberries and a fpac...read when good wines gond bad..about fresh fpacs and when to use them ,great idea after secondary,,,:try

Hi Joe,
This afternoon I made an F-pack per your instructions and added it to my Concord Grape (which I had "oaked" as you suggested). I think I am really going to like this wine. Thanks for all your help. I used 6 lbs of mixed blueberries, red raspberries and blackberries. I put them on the range with a litte bit of water and let them "stew" at very low temperature to release the juice. I then put the berries in a strainer bag. The wine was moved from a carboy to a primary and I poured the juice that went through the bag into the primary and then put the bag in the primary. BTW, I did add k meta and k sorbate. Lastly, I snapped down the lid to the primary and added an airlock.

Any suggestions on how long to let this in the primary? I am going to take it back to a carboy to clear before bottling.

chilean merlot

good to hear from you old friend,yes let it sit for about 2 weeks at that time do the normal things you would do,reading etc,and taste ,questions to ask your self is there enough taste the way I expected to be?do I need further adjustments,or should I allow it to set a little more make sure its stable and the add a pinch more of kmet ,finding and bottle,yes there is something about berries and red wines they go naturally don't they ,and will even taste better with a little time,,..:br

Remember the layers of flavors your building now will only improve the character of the sauce...THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX..:br

Back