WineXpert Chilean Malbec Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2PUPs

Reaction score
I have just ordered the following kit , am wondering if anyone has made this kit from WE, Selection International Chilean Malbec Shiraz with grape skins . I have never done a kit with grape skins . Is this kit a good wine kit , worth the money , etc . Any info appreciated .

Jeff

Jeff, I can't speak for the Malbec/Shiraz, but I am making the Nero D'Avola from the same series and it is super! My guess would be that your kit will be the same. Good luck.

Jeff, I can't speak for the Malbec/Shiraz, but I am making the Nero D'Avola from the same series and it is super! My guess would be that your kit will be the same. Good luck.

Thanks Rocky , think I will order that kit also seeing that you gave it high ratings .

jeff

I have just ordered the following kit , am wondering if anyone has made this kit from WE, Selection International Chilean Malbec Shiraz with grape skins . I have never done a kit with grape skins . Is this kit a good wine kit , worth the money , etc . Any info appreciated .
Shouldn't you ask this question BEFORE ordering??? :D

The Selection International with grape skins kits are fairly new, so folks haven't had a chance to make them, and then allow them to age. I would expect them to be pretty darn good.

Steve

Shouldn't you ask this question BEFORE ordering???

Good point cpFan , probably should have asked first , but I`m a Shiraz lover .

I just started my first WE kit with grape skins this morning a Chil. malbec shiraz. What a difference from this kit to the lower end RJS kits I have done which I enjoyed . The starting SG was 1.082 at 72 degrees . I had to move primary bucket from my work area as it was to close to front entrance and didn`t want the temp going up n down from door being open . Had to add very little water to get this kit to the 23 litre mark , maybe 3/4 of gallon or so of water , not counting the water I used to mix the bentonite . Man I need more equipment . Carboys , carboys and more carboys . Think I be taking a ride to LHBS today . Will keep you all posted on this kit process .

Last edited:
2PUPS, take the SG again about 8 hours after adding the grape pack (which will contribute sugar to the wine) and after stirring the wine very well. I think you will see it increase.

2PUPS, take the SG again about 8 hours after adding the grape pack (which will contribute sugar to the wine) and after stirring the wine very well. I think you will see it increase.

Thx Rocky , will do .

You said you only needed to add 3/4 of a gallon of water not including the water you used to hydrate the bentonite. You need to add 7 litres or almost 2 gallons of water in total. If you added the grape pack and you only got to the 23 mark on your fermenter you did not add enough water.Usually the grape pack is about 1.5 - 2 litres and this will bring the level of must up over your 23 litre mark on your fermenter.

It probably should be in the range of 24.5- 25 total litres in your bucket.

Digger

oops ,ya got me Dig , forgot to mention the gallon of water to rinse out the juice bag , my bad .

2PUPS, one thing you may want to consider is to squeeze the grape skin bag a couple times a day. I have 18 gallons (3 RJS Winery Series kits) of Old Vine Zinfandel going and I have all the skins in 2 bags with some pectic enzyme which I squeeze a couple times a day, at least. Gives the wine a lot of body. Don't for get to rinse your hands with K-meta first.

Hey Rocky , thanks for the heads up , I already have planned doing that . After the first squeeze and light stir the SG is at 1.090 . I have the lid on loose not snapped down , should I snap it or leave it loose .

Last edited:
I just leave mine loose until the SG hits about 1.020 or so. Then, I either snap it down, install an airlock and ferment to dry in the primary or rack to a carboy and ferment to dry there. I don't see a major advantage to either way. I think the wine has a lot of sediment, it is probably better to rack to a carboy. I have made a lot of wine lately from juice and the sediment is minimal, so I have fermented to dry in the primary in those cases. With the fermenter I have the Zinfandel in, I have no choice. The top does not fit tightly on the 20 gallon fermenters.

Took a temp and hydrometer reading this morn . Temp was right at 74 degres F and at a SG of 1.092

Happy New Year Everyone!

I started this kit on 12/11, it also started at 1.092.

I transferred to secondary on 12/18 and will be stabilizing and degassing tonight. That puts me pretty much right on Tim V's 5-20-40-90 schedule which I plan to follow.

This is my first kit with any kind of grape pack, so I am really looking forward to the results. Should I be able to tell any difference at tasting during the process steps from my previous higher end WE kits or is it still too soon?

I bit the bullet and ordered this kit. I'm pretty excited to get it. I should have it by the end of the week and I'll get started this weekend.

I'd really appreciate if any of you that are working with this kit post anything specific that you find!

Woohoo! Can't wait to start making what seems like it will be an excellent wine.

Happy New Year Everyone!

I started this kit on 12/11, it also started at 1.092.

I transferred to secondary on 12/18 and will be stabilizing and degassing tonight. That puts me pretty much right on Tim V's 5-20-40-90 schedule which I plan to follow.

This is my first kit with any kind of grape pack, so I am really looking forward to the results. Should I be able to tell any difference at tasting during the process steps from my previous higher end WE kits or is it still too soon?

Hello,
I'm new to this hobby. I have a WE Cab and Montapulciano working and ready to bottle. I just got the Nero w/ grape skins kit. What is the 5-20-40-90 schedule you refer to?

thank you
tony

Tony, That is a schedule in days based on "averages" for primary, secondary, clearing and bulk aging of a wine. IMHO it is a guide and not a mandate. I use my hydrometer for most of those decisions. I am always cautious of "averages." (One can drown in a lake that has an "average" depth of 2 feet.) Not saying that Tim V. is wrong. Just saying that if I get to day 5 with my wine in primary and the SG is 1.050, I am leaving it in the primary. By the same token, if I get to day 4 and the SG is 1.020, it is going into the secondary. Just my way of doing it.

Should I be able to tell any difference at tasting during the process steps from my previous higher end WE kits or is it still too soon?

Early on, this kit will likely taste a little more green, because of the presence of the grape pack and all the solids (Total Dissolved Solids) it will add to your wine. As a result of TDS, it will require more aging to get to a non-green state, but in the end, should result in a much better wine.

Wine kits with grape packs are never going to be early drinkers.

Thanks Robie, with no prior experience with grape packs, I was just wondering. I remember reading somewhere that these kits were designed to "show" better earlier in order to better match other suppliers kits with grape packs.

Rocky, I'm not implying that the schedule precludes the ardent use of a hydrometer to monitor the wine's progress, it's just an extended schedule for kits that really helps me to not rush the process. I've attached a link to the article in WineMaker Magazine

http://www.winemakermag.com/component/resource/article/Indices/25-Kit%20Winemaking/459-make-your-kit-wine-shine

Back