Chilean Malbec Juice getting close to bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyB

Reaction score
I made a Chilean Malbec from Toro Negro Juice last year and am getting close to bottling it (new juice coming the end of April). I need to rack it one more time and am wondering if there is something I can do to enhance it. I was thinking of adding some tannin to it to increase it's complexity. Right now it is a little fruit forward with a hint of dark cherry flavor. It is a little light in color compared to Commercial Malbec part of that is I am sure because of it just being juice. I am looking to make it bolder and have more structure to it. Any suggestions? BTW it is 6 gallons and has been bulk aging since since last May.

3-6 grams of Tancor Grand Cru will do some nice things. Start with three, give it two or three weeks and taste. Add another three at that time if it is still lacking. Draw off some wine into a small cup and dissolve the Tancor well. Then add back to the carboy and stir gently to mix it in.

Scotty, I agree with Jim, this spring, if possible, try to get a lug of Malbec grapes if you are getting another Malbec juice bucket) along with the juice buckets, destem and crush the grapes and add approx 9-10 lbs to the fermenter, add Opti-Red, and ferment as you normally would. This will produce an excellent wine.

I did exactly as Tom mentioned with my Carmenere and Malbec from last year. Each got 18lbs of grapes. They have very nice color and body. Not as much as if the whole batch had been done with grapes, but still pretty good. The Carmenere is about to come out of the barrel and that has further helped to concentrate flavors and increase body/mouthfeel. Speaking of barrels, have you put any oak on this wine? That will also help.

Great suggestions - I ordered some Tannin Complex as I couldn't find the Tancor Grand Cru. I added oak to it during fermentation and will be adding some this weekend. The company I get the Chilean Juice from did not offer grapes last year I hope they do this year, I was happy to at least get the juice though. Great suggestions and thanks or the input.

Latest posts

Back