Chilean harvest 2015 at Harford Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When planning, I use 1.25 gallons per Chilean lug (18lbs) and 2.5 with California. And yes: some will be more, some less.

Thanks Jim.

I'm drinking a Bordeaux that is 70% Merlot, 20% Cab Sauv and 10% Cab Franc and want to aim for that with my Chilean order. I like the Bordeaux that have more % of Merlot vs. Cabernet Sauvingon. Just ordered some Cab Sauv grapes and will use them with the Merlot bucket and make the Merlot grapes into grape packs for summer kits.

That sounds yummy Craig.

I am doing Carmenere juice bucket plus lug of grapes.

I emailed Teresa to check on when they may receive things. She said first and second weeks of May. Some of our orders will require two pick-ups depending on how things arrive.

They are anxiously waiting the results of the South African pinotage - as I am the only one who ordered it. Harford didn't order any either. They tested brix at 23. It yielded 4.5 gallons of juice from three 20# lugs, even when pressed by hand. Ph was very high, so I adjusted that. It has fermented to dry but I haven't tasted it yet. I tried some varietals of commercial Pinotage that have oak, so I stuck a stave of medium toast oak. We shall see.....

Last edited:
I can't believe you were the only one! I had told them I was interested, but never got to the order. They put mine 'back on the market' and were able to sell them so I was off the hook. Looks like you're making my wine. :)

You're right, that makes two orders. When I was there it wasn't clear what they'd do with your grapes, so I didn't add that to the count. I suspect they will have them next year also - when your fancy new wine room is ready. :)

That sounds yummy Craig.

I am doing Carmenere juice bucket plus lug of grapes.

I emailed Teresa to check on when they may receive things. She said first and second weeks of May. Some of our orders will require two pick-ups depending on how things arrive.

Heather,

Hear anymore info about the delivery date? I'd email but if you did already I don't want to bug her. Actually hoping for he 2nd weekend in May, my wife has to work this weekend and couldn't get a day off.

Heather,

Hear anymore info about the delivery date? I'd email but if you did already I don't want to bug her. Actually hoping for he 2nd weekend in May, my wife has to work this weekend and couldn't get a day off.

The last two years, that's when I've picked mine up. But that is no guarantee.

Darn move. I'm jealous of you guys and gals that are getting ready to start new batches. :p

I'm assuming that if the lugs o' grapes come in first that there is little choice but to pick them up that weekend (or do they last a few weeks?).

Jim, just think of that wonderful new room you'll have dedicated to making your top quality wine. On the bright side, fall juice season will be here before you know it. (we learned about being positive and upbeat in church yesterday, just practicing)

My thinking is that it is always best to pick them up as soon as you can, but feel that there is a week of "wiggle room" provided that the grapes are kept cold and stored correctly.

Remember it takes ~ 2 weeks for the grapes to get to Miami from Chile on a freighter. Then they have to be trucked North which takes another couple days. They are held in cold storage but still. You should pick them up ASAP as once they get dropped off some places have little to no proper cold storage.

The place I'm picking them up from does have proper storage, but I think I'll pick them up as soon as they are available. If things would go south because of my laziness I doubt my wife would allow funds to be allocated for grapes next year.

Craig, in the past, Harford has encouraged folks to come within a few days of each shipment arriving. You may be able to stretch it to pick up both together if they arrive a week apart. Best bet is to call Teresa on the phone to chat through your options.
Heather

Thanks Heather. Looks as though it will be next weekend at the earliest since I haven't seen an email with the scheduled times for pickups. Will make my wife happy since we were going to use it as an excuse to get away without the children for a few hours.

I assume they have pickups during their regular hours and not on Monday through Thursday since they aren't normally open then?

Back