Cherry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been making wine about a year from fresh or frozen fruit and decided to try making 3 gallons of cherry wine from a can of cherries. The instructions say to put a campden tablet per gallon at the second racking. The must is still very active. I've never seen a recipe for that with fresh fruit. Won't that stop the fermentation? Thanks in advance.

Presumably at the second racking the wine has finished fermentation and is starting to clear. Do not add it if it is still fermenting.

Thanks for the advice. We will hold off then. That is what I thought. It was a cherry fruit base in a can. Believe it was Vinters harvest.

Like Greg says, hold off on the campden (k-meta) til things get done fermenting. When you are getting to the end of the ferment, you can stop it with the addition of campden, but don't depend on it stopping. If you don't want it to stop, it probably will, if you are trying to stop it, it will probably finish dry. When you are getting tothe end of the ferment, just leave it alone and it will probably finish happy. Good luck with it, Arne.

Latest posts

Back