Cherry Vanilla Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corntassel

Reaction score
Cleaned and delaboled 30 bottles today so I can bottle 6 gal. of Cherry Vanilla port. It has been aging happily for 1 year & 10 months. Has robust cherry flavor and a suttle hint of vanilla after taste. 19% A.B.V. High alc. taste has mellowed with the age. Taking some to my son for new year along with some 2 year old pear and some 3 year old concord.

This is on my list of wines to make, can i talk ya into posting your recipe / steps? Sweet or sour cherries? How'd you add the vanilla - beans or liquid? Curious minds wonder!

I will post the recipt tomorrow when I have my log in hand. I used sour cherries. I used Madagascar vanilla beans. Got a good price on them at Costco vacum sealed 4 beans to the glass tube and 2 tubes to the package so I stocked up. can't remimber the price it was 2 years ago.

40lbs.sour cherries
41/2 gal. water ( this will give you some extra for topping up)
8# sugar or enough for 1.090 sg.
3 Table spoons acid blend ( do acid test may take more or less)
3 tsp. pectic enzyme
2 Table spoons yeast nutrient
1 tsp tannin
1/4 tsp K-meta.
1 packet Lavlin K1-V1116

Pit and freeze cherries for 3-4 weeks. Thaw and place in strainer bags. Add water sugar and all ingrediants except pectic enzyme and yeaast. After 12 hrs add pectic enzyme. After another 12 hrs add yeast sarter. Push down and stir 2 times a bay till sg is 1.010 then rack to secondary. After 2 months rack again and add K-meta. Continue to rack till clear. After clear add K-meta & K-sorbate add sugar to taste ( port should be sweet). Add 5 bottles of cherry flavored brandy then let age. 2 months before bottling put 4 vanella beens split open to carboy. This recipt is only a gide please feel free to tweek it as you see fit.:tz

A couple of questions before I mess this up :)

1. You state to "add all ingrediants except pectic enzyme and yeaast", but then say to add K-meta twice more. Is that 1/4 tsp of K-meta not a starting ingredient and is just added later, and 1/4 tsp each time?
2. Same question for the K-sorbate? Not a starting ingrient, only added after clear?
3. When you say add sugar to taste, how much roughly are you talking...a pound, couple pounds? Does the k-sorbate keep this from re-fermenting or is that not a problem after you have racked enough times?
4. How long roughly do you recommend bulk aging before bottling?
5. 5 bottles of cherry brandy....are the bottles liters or something smaller? I don't want to overdo it!

This is my first port. I've made some fruit wines off and on that turned out pretty good, but this is really intriguing me.

Thanks for the help!

Dale

A couple of questions before I mess this up :)

1. You state to "add all ingrediants except pectic enzyme and yeaast", but then say to add K-meta twice more. Is that 1/4 tsp of K-meta not a starting ingredient and is just added later, and 1/4 tsp each time?
K-meta dose is common at the start of the ferment specifically when fresh or fresh/frozen fruit is used---this "kills" the wild yeast allowing the wine yeast to proliferate. And then there is a dosing schedule typically every 3-4 months while clearing/racking, and then the k-meta PLUS sorbate is used as a stabilizer if you plan to backsweeten with a fermentable sugar source.
2. Same question for the K-sorbate? Not a starting ingrient, only added after clear? Correct, k-sorbate is NOT ever used at the startup, is a stabilizer ALWAYS used in combination with k-meta. Typically you use 1/2 tsp of sorbate per gallon and then 1/4 tsp k-meta powder per 5 gallons---but ALWAYS consult the labels on your product because some products have a different strength.
3. When you say add sugar to taste, how much roughly are you talking...a pound, couple pounds? To taste is very individualized, what tastes good to you. I tend to do this: pour three separate 4 oz servings of room temperature wine and then another three 4 oz samples of CHILLED wine, so you will have SIX samples.
Next, add 1/8 tsp, 1/4 tsp and 1/2 tsp of sugar to each serving respectively, and taste chilled and room temperature.

If the 1/2 tsp dose is the one you like, then backsweeten at the lesser dose (1/4 tsp per 4 ounces)
To create a backsweetened wine with the equivalent of the winner of tasting trial:
*1/4 tsp of sugar/4 oz wine, then add 1.5 cups of sugar/5 gallons wine.
*1/2 tsp of sugar/4 oz wine, then add 3 cups sugar/5 gallons wine.
*1/8 tsp of sugar/4 oz wine, then add 3/4 cup sugar/5 gallons wine.

Hint: 1.010-1.012 is a common "happy" spot, but again--it is very individualized
and will vary with EACH and EVERY wine you make.

Does the k-sorbate keep this from re-fermenting or is that not a problem after you have racked enough times? K-sorbate when used in conjunction with k-meta will create an environment unfriendly for any remaining active yeast to actually ferment. If your wine is dry and will be served DRY style then most people do NOT add k-sorbate. But k-meta is ALWAYS part of the stabilizing regardless if dry or not.
4. How long roughly do you recommend bulk aging before bottling? Personally, if a country wine I will bulk age for at least six months from the time the wine is clear and no longer dropping sediment. If a grape wine--a year of bulk aging at the earliest.
5. 5 bottles of cherry brandy....are the bottles liters or something smaller? I don't want to overdo it! Can't help you on bottle size, but you may want to look at something called PEARSON'S SQUARE as it applies to adding fortifiers to your wine.

Hope my bolded answers above help.
Sara

Last edited:
saramc - thank you so much for the clarification. It all makes sense to me. I'll look up the Pearson's Square, but now at least I can write this all down and have a reproducable recipe. The tasting trial sounds like a great idea. Wish I had thought of that years ago! THANKS!

Back