Cherry Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last fall I started a batch of Malbec from the West Coast USA. I love Malbec and had high hopes for it. I used the pomace to produce a second run that is mixed with second run from Merlot & Zinfandel. The second run wine came out great -- even green, those that tasted it like it.

However, the first run Malbec developed an off flavor, it's harsh. I messed with the TA/pH and suspect that may have something to do with it. It's not terrible, but it is a disappointment. I tried bench blending with the Merlot & Zin, but the harshness rides through. This is a contrast to the second run wine, which has no off flavors, so the off flavor is from post-pressing.

My son's second batch of wine is a blackberry melomel, which gave me the idea of making a cherry melomel, and I was ramping up to make it when I got a better idea. Instead of making a melomel, I purchased pure cherry juice and conducted more bench testing. The final result was adding 5 quarts juice to a carboy.

While the original Malbec is a disappointment, the final result is pleasing -- I have enough family and friends that will love it.

I suspect this will prove different from the "fun wine" kits I've made. Those are typically low end kits with a fruit F-pack -- the Malbec is good quality grape, so while this wine will be drinkable in 3 months, I suspect that it will age well.

Last fall I started a batch of Malbec from the West Coast USA. I love Malbec and had high hopes for it. I used the pomace to produce a second run that is mixed with second run from Merlot & Zinfandel. The second run wine came out great -- even green, those that tasted it like it.

However, the first run Malbec developed an off flavor, it's harsh. I messed with the TA/pH and suspect that may have something to do with it. It's not terrible, but it is a disappointment. I tried bench blending with the Merlot & Zin, but the harshness rides through. This is a contrast to the second run wine, which has no off flavors, so the off flavor is from post-pressing.

My son's second batch of wine is a blackberry melomel, which gave me the idea of making a cherry melomel, and I was ramping up to make it when I got a better idea. Instead of making a melomel, I purchased pure cherry juice and conducted more bench testing. The final result was adding 5 quarts juice to a carboy.

While the original Malbec is a disappointment, the final result is pleasing -- I have enough family and friends that will love it.

I suspect this will prove different from the "fun wine" kits I've made. Those are typically low end kits with a fruit F-pack -- the Malbec is good quality grape, so while this wine will be drinkable in 3 months, I suspect that it will age well.

Ingenuity at it's finest! 🍷

Latest posts

Back