Chardonnay frozen crushed grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did Mlf test Friday and was hoping for better results but looks like it's half way...started MLF just over a month ago with Wyeast 4007 but the temps in the basement have been cool in the 60s and even 50s.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1429449218.914063.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1429449256.506935.jpg

MLF at those temps will proceed slowly. Ideal temp is around 70 degrees, more or less. Better to get it completed and then sulfited. However, I've heard of some commercial wineries taking several months at cool temps.

Temps in the basement were around 60s, then I've been using a brew belt on/off to avoid getting it too hot.
Stirred like once a week or so.

First MLF test was April 17 and now this 2nd test May 12.

Pitched Wyest 4007 March 13. This culture worked really well for me the first time last year on a Cab/Merlot blend.

I adjusted the PH on these Chardonnay batches down to 3.2x (from 3.57) using tartaric acid.

I know I did everything by the book. Thinking about moving on and adding sulfite...:(

What is the pH tolerance of the Wyeast? I think 3.2 is the low end for a lot of MLB's.

I've seen mixed reviews on it.

I looked their site and no mention of the PH but only the temp.
Let me keep checking.

Trying to avoid getting VP41 at this stage because is getting close to 2 months since I pitched Wyeast 4007.

I just came across this thread and thought I would add some missing info. Many sites publish a pH of 2.9 or greater. Ex:

http://www.morebeer.com/products/wyeast-4007-liquid-malolactic-bacteria-125ml.html

I have a batch that was innoculated at 18 C and pH 3.5 and it did nothing for the first month. I added some Opti-Malo Plus and gave it a stir and after another month it is working with TA down 0.09. I am hoping that it is only about half done as I would like the TA to drop a total of 0.2 or so.

Many reviews of this MLB indicate it is very slow, with the manufacturer specifying 1-3 months.

yeah, saw a few reviews as well.
I opted to call it a day and the 3 months mark I racked and added kmeta without testing MLF again (didn't care at this point as I didn't want the risk of spoilage).

I did a taste test and the wine is pretty good to be this young....time will tell.

Latest posts

Back