Champlain Valley - Grapemans' vineyard - Planting to small winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have come a long way since I visited a month ago. I guess that is not a surprise!

Rich, one of the things I just noticed is that I don't see any visible irrigation equipment. Is it not needed in your area?

chiefmike said:
Rich, one of the things I just noticed is that I don't see any visible irrigation equipment. Is it not needed in your area?

I have never needed any sort of irrigation. We are a temperate area and have fairly high rainfall normally. This year it has been through the roof. June was just a bit above normal with a little over 4 inches rain. July was a washout with over 10 inches of rain. So far in August we are over 4 inches.

Interesting. I should have realized that, but I get so used to irrigation being a major issue in growing grapes here that I forget that there are plenty of places in the country that actually experience that thing yall call moisture during July and August.
smiley2.gif

I missed a couple of days on my wifes garden and wow - wish we would get rain - but won't until Oct - Nov earliest!!!!!!!

so, gotta irrigate - - -

rrawhide

I figured I would add a few pictures to let everyone know how things are going.

Generally with grapes, especially vinifera you don't get a good crop until the fourth year. To start things out here is a picture of a two year old Frontenac Last year after training to the fruiting wire.
20090904_051755_100_4040_Medium.jpg

Note the small size- that's why you normally wait two more years before cropping. The cold climate grapes we are growing, such as Frontenac are very vigorous and can be quite precocious (early bearing). Here is a picture of that same row of Frontenac in their third year. I expect about 5 tons to the acre with them.

20090904_052123_100_5414_Medium.jpg

Here is a four year old Frontenac
20090904_052312_100_5413_Medium.jpg

A shoot thinned Frontenac
20090904_052421_100_5411_Medium.jpg

The Valiant vine is really coloring up
20090904_052600_100_5410_Medium.jpg

Over the top netting versus side netting -left row 4 year old Frontenac, right Three Year Frontenac
20090904_052706_100_5418_Medium.jpg

The Sabrevois got a haircut before netting
20090904_052802_100_5420_Medium.jpg

and on the other side of the Sabrevois

20090904_052919_100_5423_Medium.jpg

LaCrosse behind the small vines
20090904_053024_100_5422_Medium.jpg

End of pictures for now.

I have a pallet of bottles coming today for bottling last years wine - 112 cases. Not enough to completely fill them all, but I will use the rest next year.

appleman,

I'm good at packing pallets but how do you get 112 cs on a skid?

I can usually get 56 cs750ml & 60cs 1.5L to a pallet. Some odball ones like sparkling you can only get 40-47 cs due to large outer box.

Just a question...

Dennis

The winery I work at when I have time has 112 cases of empty .750ml bottles ona pallet when delivered, which is 8 rowshigh by14 cases per layer. Then when bottled and restacked we break it down to 4 rows by 14 for 56 cases a pallet for shipping.
This would be my guess - at least.

R Ziegler said:
The winery I work at when I have time has 112 cases of empty .750ml bottles ona pallet when delivered, which is 8 rowshigh by14 cases per layer. Then when bottled and restacked we break it down to 4 rows by 14 for 56 cases a pallet for shipping.
This would be my guess - at least.

That's my game plan also. As I unload from the truck I am going to break down to two skids - 4x14. I'm not sure my tractor would be able to move a full skid. When unloading Pro-Mix (potting soil) a full skid makes the fron end very light.

The math works, but not the logic............... Like I said, I don't have enough wine to fill all the bottles, so I will use them up next year. I need about 84 cases. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

By the way there were 7 high x 16 per row. We removed 2 rows from the top and I took the rest easily on the tractor. I probably could have moved the full height pallet, but wouldn't have been able to get it in under my 8 foot high garage door. I brought about 50 cases to the winery so I can begin bottling whites soon. And then onto the reds.......

I bought enough more barrels to hold this years crop if I can't free up space in last years storage in time.

Those grapes look awesome Rich. Im still hoping I can get up there later next month.

Thegrapes look great that is what I am looking forward to next year.

How much thinning do you do ,enough to let sun in to the grapes?Looking at your new vines in the pictures do you prune them ?I have been letting the new vines go wild, as much foliage as possible to feed the roots .

The shoot thinned vinesare a type of canopy management. At some point during the growing season, you remove some of the shoots- either uprights with VSP or hanging ones with TWC or other trailing systems. The Frontenac are 4 Arm-Kniffen shoot thinned. I left the extra shoots until the end of July before thinning. That kept theshoots in a stressed mode, which limits their growth lengthwise. I then take out enough to leave about 5 canes per running foot of fruiting wire total. Single wire systemes (VSP) get 5 left per wire foot. Two wiire systems get 3 left on the top and 2 per bottom wire. This opens the canopy up well to sunlight and drying air movement. The first grape pictues (all but the last one with lots of small clusters) are part of my small research trial studying just what I am talking about here. Next up for the trial is to see what differences, if any, there is in fruit quality.

As for the young vines, I let them grow crazy, but tie several shoots to the bamboo poles to keep some growth upright. That allows me to get closer when working the middle ground between vines and rows. The smaller ones you see were grazed back a number of times by my four legged helpers. The ones at the far end are very bushy with many tops and are 4-7 feet long. They will be cut back next year to be established on the yet to be installed trellises.

appleman I'm thinking about turning 1 or 2 acres into agrape trellislol and to think I just started with the hobby of making wine not even a month ago! OK so I'm addicted already but I've been working on getting the75 ft in size concord vines we have in working order and I have added a couple candice vines but the trellis is so old and elapidated, that I just want to tear them out. I just planted the candice last fall. So thier not fully established yet. and the acreage I plan on using has been a vege garden or field I should say. So it won't be a proplem of clearing the space, I also have bros and the equipment to work the ground up again for such. My question is what grapes should I plant? I'm in north eastern ohio and I will primarily be making cabernet sauvignon, and white zin or better yet could you refer me to some good books on best trellis and also would like some info on pruning. I've had these plans in back of my mind for over a year now so don't think I'm just jumping into everything at once. btw I do have an addictive personality though lol
thanks alot

Peaches why not start your own thread topic for your plans or dreams of a vineyard? That way we can all follow along with it easier as you gain answers to your questions and then maybe begin planting.

I will give you better information as you move along and gain a better idea for where you want to go in this adventure.

One thing I will say is that you won't likely be making Cab Sauvignon and White Zinfandel wine from grapes you grow. You can make some of them in a similar style, but those grapes won't grow well and survive in NE Ohio.

Back