Champlain Valley - Grapemans' vineyard - Planting to small winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update.....today we woke to 44 degree temps, by noon it was 78* and muggy...this evening we had a real gully washer...over an inch of rain, quite a bit of hail and strong winds...Heavy rains predicted tonight and tomorrow and the next day.....Cheers!!!!

Picture032Small.jpg
Edited by: Northern Winos

Sweet dealNW, an inch of rain! I bet there was dancing at your farm last night! You hate to see gully washers, but when you need it so bad you take it any way you can get it. I saw on the maps yesterday rain was headed that way and held a quiet thought in my heart that it would send you some tears from the heavens. I'm glad Wade got them to follow through to you!

Well...after a very hot dry spell and then that cloud burst and gully washer we have been getting cold rains everyday....some days just a trace and up to 1/4" on one more occasion...might pour again tomorrow...[usually does on Holiday weekends]....Sunday and Monday might be nice...then more rain.....

Just what the planted crops needed....I still need to plant the vine crops..squash, melons and cukes...as well I haven't set out the tomato and pepper plants yet...and now it's too muddy.....complain...complain...

The lawn is growing like crazy...a good sign that everything is growing...my hubby's field corn is up and the soybeans are popping....Rain is good!!!!

I'm glad to hear you have gotten enough rain to wet things down good. Do you want me to slow the rain down yet? I hope it doesn't get too wet now. It's beautiful here this AM after almost hitting 100 yesterday- sunny with expected high about 74-76.

The grapes are beginning to grow like crazy. I'm still impressed with the LaCrosse grape vines. If they do this every year, keeping the number of clusters to a reasonable amount could be a challenge. The primary, secondary and tertiary buds are all growing on them and each one has either one or two(so far) clusters of buds. Like I said some of them have 30-50 clusters of buds. I am trying to balance some of the growth while they are still young so I will need a lot of cluster removal.

I needed to dust the grapes with Sevin Thursday evening. The Steely Bettles(Flea Beetles) had gotten horrendous. I'm beginning to hoe the vines to keep the weeds down to a manageable size.

Bugs...I better look...
smiley3.gif
maybe I don't have enough grapes to attract any.

I have been spraying the strawberry flowers for the dreaded Tarnished Plant Bug...they attack the flowers and cause distorted seedy fruits....so got to do this spraying as I have always had a problem with that...last year I sprayed a little bit and it sure helped...this year will do it regularly.

Oh...and 1-2 inches of rain predicted for today...then no rain till Tuesday....now the weather man seems to keep his promises.Edited by: Northern Winos

Well I spent the day cleaning out the weeds from the vineyard today. I ran through the rows of last years vines and hoed out all the weeds in the row strip - 9 rows 250 feet long. 6 of them I had to do completely with the hoe, but the rest I use the Troy-bilt tiller to do figure 8s in. That gets 90 percent of the weeds in the row. I also had to do another 8 row I had planted this year with the tiller. The ragweed sure liked the rain and warm weather of this week and came up pretty thick. Best to get it while it's small. 6 hours later I was pretty well done with the hoeing and tilling. I then run the tractor with small harrow through between the rows to knock out the rest of the weeds and grass coming up. It sure looked nice when I finished up, but alas it started to rain again. I want to get some pictures to show everybody what its looking like. The vines are growing well, even the newly planted ones are starting to leaf out after only a week in the ground.

A lot of the vines from last year are putting out a lot of growth down low and the buds on the vine higher got eaten badly by the Flea bettles. I will have to prune back some more and thin out some of the bottom growth.

Next on the agenda- Trellising for the vines planted last year from cuttings. By the way, the vines I left in the little nursery (and planted this spring)are almost the same size now as the ones I was able to get big enough early enough last year to plant out in the vineyard. Sorry for no pics- maybe tomorrow after work.

Was a hard working weekend for us....

We got near 3 inches of rain since last Monday...Jim had quit planting his soybeans because it was too dry....then he's been sitting because it was too wet....Yesterday He field cultivated and is finishing his planting now.

Yesterday I mowed the yard...it sure grew with the rains and the dandelions can make it look soo bad....Anyone know a spray [other than 2-4-D] that will kill dandelions and not grapes?????

Today I laid out a couple pieces of plastic and set out some plants...82 assorted tomatoes, 36 hot peppers, 32 bell peppers, some tomitillos and eggplant...Had more plants to set out but got too windy to lay out anymore plastic.

SetoutSmall.jpg

I plant in black plastic to conserve moisture, avoid weeding and it keeps the tomato diseases at bay....it is worth the extra work.

In a Tornado watch...storms predicted for the next 2 days and rain for the rest of the week.....God is Great!!!! Life is Good!!!!

....Anyone know a spray [other than 2-4-D] that will kill dandelions and not grapes?????

How about glyphospate(Roundup) That would surely kill the dandelions, but is a little hard on the grass too
smiley36.gif
. I just keep the lawn mowed as close as I can so they don't show much and live with them- although we don't get too many on the sandy ground.

Sounds about like what I planted yesterday, NW. I finished the tomatoes with a total of 150. Planted 50 bell peppers and about 50 hot peppers. Also put in 25 pounds potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, brocolli and cucumbers. The strawberries are looking good, but I will need to start another patch. I plan on plowing them under when done for this year. I planted a couple rows of grapes up through them on one end-so now they are in the way. I have a better spot I'm gettingready for themnow.

Dang, just reading about what all you two have accomplished has made me tired again. I may have to call in and take off another day from work just to rest up from what you two have done.

I got some pictures this AM but the sun was bright so they aren't great. The flea beetles really did a lot of damage to the late buds of the American varieties. I will wait and see if they make up growth.

20070529_060319_100_3037_Small.JPG

Here are the black currents. I will add the trellis this coming week.
20070529_060448_100_3039_Small.JPG

Here is a lower bud showing the damage after growing out. The upper buds were tighter at the time so more damage done to them.
20070529_060849_100_3042_Small.JPG

One of the expansion areas wher I added vines this year. The yellow flags mark the vines until I get the stakes in.
20070529_061356_100_3043_Small.JPG

20070529_062250_100_3047_Small.JPG

20070529_062339_100_3054_Small.JPG

20070529_062431_100_3058_Small.JPG
Edited by: appleman

Everything looks great...except the 'Swiss-Cheese' leaves...I better go out and check on mine.

Say...do Currants need staking????

Most currants don't need staking as they don't get that tall. I planted mine at the end of a row of vines so I will continue the trellis on in them. That will allow them to be supported somewhat, especially the Titania- which get quite tall.

I'm trying to track certain characteristics of the varieties I'm growing and am beginning to see a couple varieties standing out as vigorous. I am waiting to be able to make more wine from several varieties.

Wow appleman, thats turning into quite the vineyard. Are you thinking
on fermenting all this or maybe start selling vines eventually? Very
impressive!!

Apple, do you have a job you have to go to everyday too? If you are like my dad.....you come home from work, put on your green jeans and head for the garden until dark....it's not work.....it is an absolute pleasure!!!

He had 4 girls with4 hoes......we were right there with him!!!! Iloved every minute of it too.

Ramona

Latest posts

Back