Cellar Craft Cellar craft International merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLeroy

Reaction score
Started this kit today. WOW did this jucie taste good
smiley1.gif
. I am worried about the amount of room that the grape pack took in the primary bucket. I only have about 3 inches of head space. Will I have a problem with it bubbling up and comming out the air lock? I will be punching down the grape pack in the bag several times a day. Has any one done this kit? How do you like it? I am thinking of adding more oak than came with the kit.

Jim,

I have not made the kit you mentioned but I think you will be all right with the fermentatin if you have 3" of space. I don't install the air lock on the primary. Rather, I just set the top on the bucket as there is so much gas escaping that there is little danger of air getting back into the wine. I don't use the air lock until after the first racking into a carboy. Just be sure to punch down the bag three or more times a day and hold it under with your long spoon until most of the gas in the bag escapes. It should be fine.

I just did this (2 months ago??). I agree the volume is HIGH! Was really careful with the stirring. I think i made it tougher on myself (first racking) cause i did not use the bag. There was alot of sediment.

But, it is really tasting good.

I made my first few kits having grape skins without the bag and then I switched to using one. I will never go back! It makes the racking so much easier. I even put the oak in the bag. Works great for me. When I punch down, I take the long spoon and jab lightly into the bloated bag to release the gas and flavors. Once it is largely deflated, I stir carefully to get the yeast fully exposed.

It is because of kits like this one and others by Mosti Mondiale that you might want to get a 10 gallon fermentor for your next batch. The grape packs really raise the level in the bucket, so if you get very much foam, you will be even closer to the top.

During the time the wine is to be in primary (in the bucket), don't use an air lock. That wine needs some air during primary only. Just put a towel over the air lock hole to keep critters out. That way it can breath.

Be sure to stir that grape pack and foam down during primary. Stir it twice a day. Whip in some air, so the yeast can have some oxygen... they need it during primary, especially on a big wine.

Latest posts

Back