Cellar Craft CC Sterling vs Showcase

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhughes

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping someone out there who has experience with both levels of kits can provide guidance here.

I'm relatively new to kits and have made a few higher end kits and most of them are aging as we speak. I'm ready now to start a few more and have been talking with my LHBS owner and he was suggesting CC kits and suggesting I try the Sterling 12L kits. I'm trying to understand in general terms what the differences are between the higher end 18L and 16L kits vs a 12L kit.

Is the main difference the ability to age? i.e. a 12L will drink earlier and not age as well?

I noticed many of these kits have Crushed Grape Pack, does this mean they'll have similar body, etc?

I've heard the more concentrated the juice is, the more likely you are to notice Kit Taste (not sure I'm clear on what the is)...

Any guidance or experience you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for asking this one - I will be interested to see what gets posted. I have done several kits of each (Sterling and Showcase) but they are not yet ready for drinking, so i do not know what the differences are, (other than the obvious $30 over the counter).
What I *can* say is that those crushed grapes taste like heaven itself when you take them out of the primary. Only problem is, you'll be pulling grape seeds out of your teeth for the next 24 hours

=:O

Last edited:
For the most part, in wine kits, you get what you pay for. There are some exceptions. The Sterling group of kits and maybe WE's Luna Rossa and Mezza Luna kits are exceptions. I like my Old vine Zin sterling kit. Its 9 months old and is great. I've done a few CC Showcase kits and $ for $ these are great kits and will beat the Sterling line hands down.

Hi Andrew,
The Sterling kits ARE designed to be a bit "quicker to the glass" compared to the Showcase kits. The 12 liters of the Sterling line (talking red wines here) are made up of 10.5 liters of concentrate and juice, plus 1.5 liters of crushed grapes....
The Showcase red wine kits, by comparison, have 18 liters in the box: 16 liters of concentrate and juice (but with more juice than the Sterling kits) and 2 liters of crushed grapes.
By sheer design - owing to less crushed grapes and less juice - the Sterling kits will show a little less body than their Showcase counterparts. If you prefer fuller body styles of wine, I would recommend the Showcase line. However, if you like lighter styles of wine or wines with a bit less tannins - and appreciate the savings at the cash register - then perhaps the Sterling brand is best for you.
In particular, I think the Sterling Pinot Noir is excellent. I have a buddy who made the 12L Sterling Cabernet Sauvignon and he really likes it - just bottled his second kit of it. Even though he sometimes prefers the bigger Cab (like Red Mountain Cab), he appreciates the lighter approachability of the Sterling Cab as well as a nice change of pace.
I don't know if this post helps, but I hope so. Wine is such a subjective topic and everyone obviously has his or her own preferences regarding taste, aroma, and body.

Thanks guys that's helpful.

Brant, the details you provided are exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll try a sterling at some point, maybe the Pinot Noir, and do a comparison first hand. For now I decided to try a CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo (opposite end of the spectrum from what I understand) and a CC Premium 16L Pinot Grigio.

Wow thanks for the information!

I think I'm pulling the trigger on the 16L Premium California Pinot Noir

Back