Can't find bung - saran wrap?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexPKeaton

Reaction score
So I've got a wine that I'm racking for bulk aging, but I'm missing a bung - can I just top the carboy with saran wrap for a day or two until I get a new bung? Thanks!

So I've got a wine that I'm racking for bulk aging, but I'm missing a bung - can I just top the carboy with saran wrap for a day or two until I get a new bung? Thanks!
Silly Q...what happened to the bung for the carboy that you racked this wine from?

PS...I keep spare bungs, air locks, and hydrometers. Too important to be without.

Steve

Alex, An easy interim fix that I have used is to fit a balloon with a pin hole in the end over the carboy. It lets gas escape slowly and will work until you get a stopper. You can also use the other kind of "balloon." Just be sure it is not the lubricated type.

Last edited:
Sh-t the old ladies gonna love seeing that in the laundry room.
:slp

Silly Q...what happened to the bung for the carboy that you racked this wine from?

PS...I keep spare bungs, air locks, and hydrometers. Too important to be without.

Steve

That carboy is being used for another batch.

Thanks for the suggestions! Will go with one of these for a day or two.

I had a similar problem when bottling - I ran a few corks short as I got to the end. Naturally, it was Sat. late afternoon, so no time to get to FineVineWines until Monday. I used saran wrap over the 4-5 bottles uncorked, and can't even remember now which batch that was! Must have been ok, as no bad effects resulted.

heck, last batch I made, I had all my bungs in use, and i guess when I bought the new carboy I omitted the bung from my purchase :slp BUT i used a rubber glove and a hair tie (yeah thats right, a hair tie, cuz I obviously forgot to buy rubber bands in the last ....ohhhh ...ummm.... EVER!) looked funny as hell, but did the job quite nicely.... yup thats right, I cant remember bungs or rubber bands, but I have rubber gloves :) ...

Special: 6 bungs for $4.00. I'll even throw in free shipping. #7 or 8.5's only.:try :wy

It think this will solve this problem..

Phone calls only. web site still has gremlins..:tz

Special: 6 bungs for $4.00. I'll even throw in free shipping. #7 or 8.5's only.:try :wy

It think this will solve the problem..

Phone calls only. web site still has gremlins..:tz

Latest posts

Back