Can u cork without a corker ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy smokes, I hope I don't run into you in a dark alley.

You need either a hand corker or even better yet , a floor corker.

I just want/ need to cork some 1 gallon Jugs full of wine. ( need jugs)

Hmmmm mabey i can find someone willing to let me use theres......

Yea im the bad a$$ under the light post with the Blinking Sketchers shoes on. Best to stay on the main road when im around. :wy

If you are using one gallon jugs, just cap them, standard corks will not fit. They do make tapered corks that will fit, but they are about the same as a rubber bung. If you want to cork bottles stick with .750 bottles and a #9 cork. Then you will either have to buy a corker or get one from someone you know.

Oh I meant the jugs are full of wine and I want to bottle the wine to use the jugs. I'm planning on using reg wine bottles

You cannot put a standard cork into a regular bottle without a corker. It is necessary to squeeze the cork to a smaller size than the neck and then insert before it starts to expand back.

There are 'tasting corks' that are push in, but the wine won't have a very long shelf life. So if you are bottling from one gallon jug, and then drinking those 4-5 bottles, then bottling from another gallon jug, then the tasting corks will work.

Steve

A guy i know talked about having a 10% cork wastage when corking... Turns out he was putting them.in with a mallet and broke some in the process. It is possible but my £4 hand corker does the job :)

A guy i know talked about having a 10% cork wastage when corking... Turns out he was putting them.in with a mallet and broke some in the process. It is possible but my £4 hand corker does the job :)

hHmmm ... did you inquire of his BOTTLE wastage with the "Gallagher Method"? :D

Lol i should have.. He's the kind of fella who could get carried away with a weapon like that in his hand :)

Hahaha Im not planning on having the bottle last a real long time. Im shure will drink this now Young its good and Way better than the carlos rossi that i had before. WIfe and a friend wants
to drink it up !

Fine Vine Wines or any other decent online supply store will have "push corks". They are similar to what a good vodka or cognac has on them from the store.

As someone else said, they are ok for short term. Not sure but maybe under a year?

Fine Vine Wines or any other decent online supply store will have "push corks". They are similar to what a good vodka or cognac has on them from the store.

As someone else said, they are ok for short term. Not sure but maybe under a year?
Since 3 months is under a year, technically you are correct. :i

I'm not sure how long the tasting corks would be good for. It's been a long time since I've paid attention to any discussions about them.

When I ran a store, I had a customer who did what I suggested to Twintrades. But I don't think he kept any wine under a tasting cork for longer than a month. I sold the tasting corks to a number of first time customers who balked at the price of a corker. But most of them probably drank the wine in less than 3 months.

Steve

I would compare the question to another: "Can you open a can of soup without a can opener?" Technically, the answer is yes (a hatchet or a hammer and screwdriver could work), but the cost of a can opener is tiny compared to the hassle of opening a can without it. There are inexpensive corkers that do the job.

Latest posts

Back