Can I use wine corks with carbonation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyP

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a a green apple kit (probably WE's Riesling) and am thinking about adding some carbonation. Is there some level of carbonation I can add and still use 750ml wine bottles and corks? If not, I assume I can use beer bottles and caps, but some thoughts, please. Does anyone do this, generally? FYI, I'd use someone's beer equipment instead of getting my own for this one project.

I guess it would depend on how much CO2 was in the wine and what the temperature was. I would try to keep the wine under 40 degrees F, above which the CO2 is more active and could "pop your cork." Perhaps a better solution would be to get some champagne bottles, plastic champagne corks and wires.

Rocky said:
I guess it would depend on how much CO2 was in the wine and what the temperature was. I would try to keep the wine under 40 degrees F, above which the CO2 is more active and could "pop your cork." Perhaps a better solution would be to get some champagne bottles, plastic champagne corks and wires.

+1 use the right bottles and champagne corks.

Even easier, the champagne bottles can be capped with a crown cap.

+1. Years back we made a batch of sparking wine from standard white table grapes, carbonated in the bottle, and capped by this method. Everything turned out well.

Crown caps are used for sparkling and riddling. When the champagne is disgorged the crown caps are removed and a traditional champagne cork and wire is applied. But you can just keep a crown cap if you want.

Tonyp,

You need to appreciate the amount of pressure that you can achieve through carbonation. Regular wine corks can hold back only a limited amount. Standard wine bottles also are meant to hold back only a limited amount of pressure. Follow the advise of the others, use champagne bottles with either a crown cap or a champagne cork/wire.

Latest posts

Back