Can I use canned fruit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinegar

Reaction score
I have a ridiculous amount of canned peaches. Can I use them to make wine? Or would the preservatives ruin it? If so would it be the same recipes and directions as fresh?

If the peaches you canned them Nd didnt add preservatives like K sorbate, should. be perfect. but if cans of store bought peaches doubt they would ferrment well.

I pit my peaches and freeze them tastes perfect.

make sure you have some basic equipment before starting wine making, sanitizer for tools, ph meter, hydrometer. these will help better than. following some recipe that tells 1 cup of this one spoon of that. because each fruit will be more or less sweet and sour. so hard to have precise wine if you don't adjust each batch differently

I have a ridiculous amount of canned peaches. Can I use them to make wine? Or would the preservatives ruin it? If so would it be the same recipes and directions as fresh?
off subject, but, if you got some ready whip and a gallon of cold goats milk to go with them peaches, then I'll be right over,,,,
Dawg

If you read some of my post you will know I use just about any source of frit I can find, normally to success.

One of my famous yearly wines is PIE FILL wine.

And yes that uses canned pie fill fruit.

I normally use bottled grape juice and with the pie fill and juice SPG I still add a bit of sugar, but mainly just some raisins for tanin and lemons for acidity.

That said, mix to a target SPG and acidity, put on an airlock and let sit a few days for any preservative to dissipate and then add yeast starter.

keep great notes

The US rules for food plants requires all ingredient statements to include everything in decreasing order!
Can I use them to make wine? Or would the preservatives ruin it? If so would it be the same recipes and directions as fresh?
OK, in the US metal cans go along with a product which is retorted at 15psig for long enough to kill everything. A refrigerated or frozen plastic pouch would not be sterile and could have preservatives which have to be listed on the label.
Recipe: ?? Does the ingredient statement list water? sugar? packed in juice? ,,, if it says water I would strain the solids then do four or five pounds per gallon and add back the syrup cause I have it. With lots I might run high as ten per gallon cause I like flavor.

Latest posts

Back