Campden tablets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORnurse

Reaction score
Can campden tablets be used to clean and or sterilize my primary and equipment? Looking to start my first kit, and the store told me I could. Wondering how many tablets, and how long to soak?

Yes, but I would recommend you purchase the powdered potassium bisulfite. It's easier to use, easier to make sanitizing solutions and does not have the extra additives (binders to make a pellet) that the tablets have.

I guess the reason they are out there is for small batches, like a gallon or so. Hard to measure 1/20 to 1/24 teaspoon for stabilizing.

Rocky it's actually easy. I take 5 ounces of water and add 1/4 tsp of meta and stir. Now you just add 1 ounce into your gallon jug. Perfectly blended in and no fillers or floaters. Throw the rest away or add it into your sanitizer.

I guess the reason they are out there is for small batches, like a gallon or so. Hard to measure 1/20 to 1/24 teaspoon for stabilizing.

To measure 1 gallon amount I mix 1/4 tsp of powdered potassium bisulfite in 50 mil of water then just draw off 10 mil of the solution to add to 1 gal.

RR

Last edited:
Rocky it's actually easy. I take 5 ounces of water and add 1/4 tsp of meta and stir. Now you just add 1 ounce into your gallon jug. Perfectly blended in and no fillers or floaters. Throw the rest away or add it into your sanitizer.

That would work! Thanks. Sometimes I have a 3 gallon carboy so I woudl use 3 oz of the solution.

Latest posts

Back