campden tablets vs COMET cleaner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunebilly

Junior
Reaction score
i filled a bucket with figs, a bucket i cleaned with comet, a bucket i did not reinse out thouroghly. there was still some Comet sediment on the inside of the bucket.. so there my bucket sits full of very ripe figs. 4 gallons. heavy. is it ok if i just go ahead and mash them up, add water and campden tablets?

I agree a big NO comet is NOT a no rinse cleaner in fact can be harmful read side notes on can

OMG!

WHY WOULD YOU USE COMET? :re

Time to toss it

So, you think you meant to use Clorox rather than Comet? Clorox can be used (in a very diluted stage) to sanitize just about anything. Anyone that has a travel trailer, 5er, motor home, etc., knows this from sanitizing the fresh water tanks.

Welcome to the forum Dunebilly!! Any chance you can dump the figs out, rinse them thoroughly, and put them back into a properly sanitized bucket??? Good luck!!

Like Flem asked, are they still whole and can they be rinsed off. If not...

pick_your_poison.gif

Welcome to the forum Dunebilly!! Any chance you can dump the figs out, rinse them thoroughly, and put them back into a properly sanitized bucket??? Good luck!!

THANKYOU. yes thats what i will do. Everywhere i look, says figs are not sweet, that they need a lot of sugar. uhhh i think they are the sweetest fruit ive ever had. well about to clean them up and see how it floats.

SG level on fig wine.

in a 4 gallon bucket, i have about 2 3/4 gallons of smushed up stemless with skins on figs. filled the rest up with water, reads at 80 degrees after sturred. i strained the pulp in a fine strainer and put the juice in the hydrometer cylinder and got 1.020-1.025 i added 4 crushed up campden tablets.. now letting it sit.

Since it hasn't been mentioned, I'll add that using anything abrasive (like Comet) to clean the plastic buckets isn't a good idea. It can create microscopic (or larger) grooves and pits in the plastic where bacteria can grow. Good luck salvaging your figs!

in a 4 gallon bucket, i have about 2 3/4 gallons of smushed up stemless with skins on figs. filled the rest up with water, reads at 80 degrees after sturred. i strained the pulp in a fine strainer and put the juice in the hydrometer cylinder and got 1.020-1.025 i added 4 crushed up campden tablets.. now letting it sit.

I have to be missing something. If you only have a 1.02 reading on your hydrometer, then there is almost no sugar for the yeast to feed on. I have never made this wine but I think you should really be adding enough sugar to get you reading up to about 1.085 and that is only for about an 10% abv.

Awesome Information!!! you guys really think things out.
So i cleaned all the figs, replaced the bucket to a 5 gallon bucket, brought the sugar up to 1.110 and added 2 packs of high grade yeast. i have action amost right away.

OMG....now you have rocket fuel! LOL This just might be very good. If it is too strong you can always make another batch and blend or add some concentrate to help cut the alcohol.

OMG....now you have rocket fuel! LOL This just might be very good. If it is too strong you can always make another batch and blend or add some concentrate to help cut the alcohol.

NASA has closed shop.

He now has JET fuel.. LOL

Figgin Off!

The cap is almost busting through the lid. The air lock is bubbling like madness.

Last edited:
the thing that beats me the most is, how do i take the lid off to push the cap down, tomorrow, without making the airlock suck the water into the must? should i document the SG every day?
The cap was orange, the must was brilliant PINK/RED! the smell should be sold in aerosol. Can i taste?

When making wines from fruit don't go over a hydrometer reading of 1.090. The wine will be best at a reading of around 1.080. Unsnap the lid and take the airlock off. Your wine needs air to ferment. And why did you use two packs of yeast?

My best advice to you is go to the beginners section and read up on making wine to at least get the basics.

Back