Other California Zinfandel from Williams Brewing Co.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No biggie on the responses part....I am still a little nervous nellie...Just fishin' for feedback.

I know the brush thing sounds a little "off", but I saw that another member mention this in another thread here and I thought I'd give it a try. It worked very well. The brush never resurfaced to the top of wine; just gentle swishing. Was it HVAC?? I think? I think it worked brilliantly though.

Hi Pioneergirl, Im sure by now you have sampled the Zin from Williams. I just purshached one and was reading your post. How did it turn out?

I hope this won't be a duplicate response...tried earlier, but I don't see it.

The wine was very good and is all gone due to various family visiting throughout the summer and holidays. I would say this wine needs to be aged longer than I was able to. I compared to a Gnarly Head blend ( didn't have their zin on hand) early on and mine was much better. Obviously heavier. A great value for what I believe the quality would be and could be and is a very very good end product. That gnarly head sells here between $8.99 on sale upto about $10. If I were to do this again, I would try without the raisins as early on I could taste the earthy,musty raisiny undertone to the wine, but it diminished over time. good luck on your! You will not be disappointed at all.

In August, I bottled a merlot/cab. Blend - concentrates bought from Williams (67/33 blend) and this wine is great. Again great value for some really good wine. My husband has forced me to " cellar/ crawl space " the remaining cases up at our cabin. I have had to purchase from store since I don't have anything bottled here and I am repeatedly disappointed with my store purchases ( max spend of $10).

Thanks for the reply. This will be my first try at a different kit. I have always done Expert wine high end kit and have had great sucsess with them. They are pricy though so when I saw the Willams kit and the reviews i decided to try one.
Another question to ask you is about the yeast that comes with the kit. I think you mentioned you used a different brand of yeast.
I always bulk age my wine after the finishing stages for at least six months before i bottle it.

Well, this is an encouraging post!

I can't wait for my Pino Noir and Merlot to be done now!!!

Just mixed the kit yesterday 1-13-13. OG 1.100@ 5 gal. Easy instructions, Ferment 14 days transfer for 3 months, then bottle. I will rack twice and will not bottle for at least 6 months adding k-meta at 3 months intervials.
My previous kits from Winexpert came with clearing agents and instructions to de-gas. Not sure what to do. Im thinking it will clear with time. Anyone have a comment on what I should do?

A good friend ordered a Moscato kit from Williams brewing company, I was surprised to see a small box arrive with just two unmarked cans, a packet of ICV D47 yeast and instructions that fit on something just bigger than a 3 x 5 card. No stabilizers, no Fining agents.
I was at his house when he made it, the concentrate is a darker golden color, and the initial SG was 1.120, a bit high in my opinion for Moscato, this will render a fairly high ABV.

Opps let me correct my OG its was 1.110@ 5 gal.,, in case you caught that.

Just mixed the kit yesterday 1-13-13. OG 1.100@ 5 gal. Easy instructions, Ferment 14 days transfer for 3 months, then bottle. I will rack twice and will not bottle for at least 6 months adding k-meta at 3 months intervials.
My previous kits from Winexpert came with clearing agents and instructions to de-gas. Not sure what to do. Im thinking it will clear with time. Anyone have a comment on what I should do?

Fining agents and forced degassing are for the quick turnaround that kit manufacturers promise.

3 months will do great at clearing, but there will probably still be some gas still in suspension. I am leaving mine in the carboys for 6 months. That seems to be about the right time to be degassed on its own, but that is only my observations. You can always stir the wine to aid in degassing if you want.

Sorry, was out of town..no service there. I used lalvin 212 yeast with some nutrient on my zin. Just because I can't follow " rules". I have a little book my husband gave me that is comprehensive enough for me which describes some yeasts and the wines they are used for and why and the basics of home winemaking.

It is really up to personal taste (how complicated...which is not too complicated) if you plan to oak and use fining agents. You don't have to do either. I did both, which I hope I chronicled above. I don't think a person can really mess anything up too much if you keep a good airlock and just be mindful of timing and adding the sulphites when necessary. I de gassed mine at the fining agents stage, and again at other racking, but I have learned too that some degassing will occur on its own if allowed to bulk age for many months too. My first wines were a little effervescent at bottling! Hope this helps.

Oh, if you ever use the 212 yeast you will want to make sure you use a bigger ferm. Bucket as it does have a tendency to make a mess if you put it in an 8 gal bucket. I have a 12 gal bucket now.

I was suprised to see how small the kit was compaired to the Winexpert kits. Two cans of concentrate, one pack of oak and yeast.
I did use the yeast that was supplied (Lalvin 71B 1122) says it excellent for concentrates. Fermention is very vigorous (70deg.) at 2 days now.
I did use the oak, and l plan to rack about twice and bulk age, with sulfates, without the use of any fining agents.
So far I am please with the way its going. Instructions are very simple. The juice had a nice taste.
Thanks for all your comments!!

I have just started this kit, I believe since it came as only juice (no skins), you will not need a clarifier. It should clear on its own in several weaks. It looks like it is working great so far.

Thats how I plan to clear mine by letting bulk age for about six months.

Back