Buying Wine to Age

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryMae

The Member
Reaction score
Obviously anyone reading this is making or interested in making wine. However, I'm looking for guidance on
ALSO purchasing cases of wine to age and enjoy. I've got my Cab fermenting already :)

What criteria do you use?
Certain price point to stay above?
Problems you've run into?

I started here! About 7 or 8 years ago, I decided to try an experiment. I decided to see if I could identify relatively cheap commercial wines that would benefit from aging. This is somewhat of a contradiction in terms -- wine, especially inexpensive wine, that is ready to drink now is generally thought to lack the necessary ingredients to age well. For example, a chief factor that vins de garde (wines that should be aged) possess is plenty of tannins; a tannic wine may be awful to drink now, but delightful to drink down the road.

What I did was to keep a wine notebook, and to try many, many different wines. I rated them on a number of factors, and kept my eye out for wines that I enjoyed, but that I thought were kind of astringent and pucker-inducing. After about 6 months of this, I bought cases of about 6 or 8 different wines, and stored them in a closet in my basement. (I tell my friends that my goal was to turn $9 bottles of wine into $11 dollar bottles! ;) ) As it happens, I mostly bought Cabs and Zinfandels, although I sampled many other varieties, too. I kept track of how long I aged them, and opened them at different aging times.

Some of the wines I chose benefited from aging; in some cases, quite a bit. Some never improved much. Some changed their character, from fruit bombs into something more subtle. Some improved, but are now past their prime. I did learn quite a bit from this exercise.

If your pockets are deep, you likely wouldn't go wrong to buy some expensive California big reds (likely Cab) from Napa or Sonoma; your wine dealer could provide some guidance. If your budget was similar to mine, I (of course) recommend you do what I did, and sample many wines, keeping notes, with this goal in mind. Then just buy a number of cases; in my case, I never regretted having lots of wine on hand "just in case"! :)

HenryMae,
I use to buy a lot of wine to stock my wine rack, the best deals have always been at www.wtso.com, wines till sold out, they sell wine at up to 70% off retail prices, I purchased a $200 bottle of Barolo for $39.99 and a $150.00 bottle of Brunello for $35.00, sign up for free and they will send you emails to let you know which wine is up for sale, you can buy as few as 1 bottle, up to dozens of cases.
I was able to fuel my love of big bold Italian reds such as Amarone, Brunello, Barolo, Barbaresco and so on for a fraction of the price, each wine will have it's rating (which I could care less) and what the critics thought about the wine, and how long it can be aged for and still be well within its prime.
It is a great way to taste various varietals and vintages.

Latest posts

Back