buyer beware-oversized carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
I bought several carboys awhile back. Used to hold sulfuric acid for a chemical company. Marked as 6 gallons on the bottom. Well, they are more like 7 gallons. Bummer as I mostly do kit wines. I'll probably use them as primaries for beer. Might come in handy if I ever move to fresh grapes.

ForumRunner_20130923_000955.jpg

Last edited:
Probably 6 imperial gallons which is roughly equivalent to 7.2 us gallons.

THose carboys are great, stop whinging about them, you can start your 6 gal kits in them and let them foam away and them rack to your regular carboys. I have only 1, would like to have several more! WVMJ

I have several of those 7 gallons one and luv them. The reason being - like Jack mentioned - I can start out with a bigger carboy and after the first several I can be down to a true 6 gallon carboy.

I have took a paint pen and marked all of my carboys - so it makes it easier when transferring

Yes, I have one that I use for vacuum racking to and degassing; the extra headroom handles the foaming quite well.

I grab everyone I can find. I understand your pain though. I also use to do a lot of kits and even the new Italian carboys are larger than 6 gallons.

Along with country wines that drop a lot of sediment. I wish I had a few for secondaries.

RR

For the folks that would like these, if you are anywhere near southern wisconsin let me know and I can hook you up. The guy I got them from said he had a whole pile of them

Last edited:
For the folks that would like these, if you are anywhere near southern wisconsin let me know and I can hook you up. The guy I got them from said he had a whole pile of them

Where r u located, I would like to pick up a few of these..

RR

YOu could fund your winemkaing a little bit by reselling these, get a nice box, some tape and pink foam, just sayin.... WVMJ

I'm just south of Madison area. Guy with the carboys is north of Madison. I'll ping him and see what's up.

Looks like mine. I have two; they are 6.5 gallons. I am always looking for more, as I do not often do kits, have smaller carboys for those when I do, and really like doing the same work but getting 1.5 gallons more wine.

The larger carboys are excellent, too, if you like to modify your kits. They allow the extra space to pour in a variety of back-end additions, add oak chips, etc.

I have one 7 gallon carboy. I love the thing and wish I had more as well. I use them for fruit wines and even fresh juice when racking. You know a 7 and a 5 make 12 when you don't have 2-6 gallon ones empty... or the 7 and 3 take the place of 2-5's. They have their place..

Latest posts

Back