Busy Work or Good Idea?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish1onthefly

Reaction score
I have done this on the last two bottlings and wonder if any one elsehas?
I made the kits in 6 gal carboys but when I rack off the lees for the last time I rack to a 5 gallon, holding the siphon off the botton,and finish witha 1 gallon. I did it the first time because I wanted to hold 1 gallon each of my cab and shiraz to blend. The unintended result was the 5 gal was VERY clear , with no lees sneaking in at the end when you are tring to get every drop! If you do get any lees it is only on the 1 gal and easily racked and refilled with minimum top off. I did my last white and when I filtered the 5 gal I got nothing! I have plenty of 5 gallon carboys and 1 gallon,but only 4- 6 gallon. So I can do a little bulk ageing in the 5,1 gallons. Am I just adding an extra step to keep me busy?? (yes!)

Fish, I do the same thing. I'll rack my 6 gallon down to a 5, a 1/2 gallon jug, and then into 750 ml bottles. On subsequent rackings (I do a lot of bulk aging) I use the smaller containers for topping up. It takes a wide variety of stoppers and a lot of airlocks, but they're cheap.

Latest posts

Back