Bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanib

Junior
Reaction score
I have plum and raspberry in 3 gal carboys and it has been about 2 months since fermentation ended....they are both at .995 or lower and relatively clear. I am in no hurry to bottle, should I stabilze and sweeten and then bulk age or just continue to leave it clear and rack it every 30-60 days? Also, if I do leave it bulk age a few more months (4-6 mo total), Should I still plan on degassing?

Kanib - I have stabilized and backsweetend right after fermentation and then left my wine in the carboy for a year. Did this on the last 2 batches I made and they both taste great. I think after that amount of time in the carboy you should not have to worry about degassing. Might get a small amount of sediment after sweetening but should not be too much.

Not sure if my method agrees with some of the more experienced winemakers but that has worked for me so far. I have a plum that has been sitting in the carboy for a year now and I'm still not worried about bottling it.

I usually rack once more... then stabalize and sweeten... then let it sit until close to the one yr mark. Just make sure not to "oversweeten". It seems to increase with age. You can always hit it with just a bit more before bottling, if needed.

Debbie

I only add it every other racking... half dose, I'd say. I don't rack every 60 days either... I rack when there's something worth while to rack. After the first major settling at maybe 45 days... again at 5 mos... then maybe a month before bottling. I've read that it's not necessary to rack on a "schedule"... only when needed to help clear the wine.

Debbie

Plum needs to sit, It takes a while to really finish. Every batch I have made continues to drop sediment for a year. The raspberry never last long enough to develope new sediment so I don't know about it.

If its in the primary rack degas and stabilize
If its in the secondary rack degas and stabilize.
Fruit wines take over 6 months to really clear. Shoot for 9-12 months for aging.
Add a little less than 1/4tsp meta every 90 days.

Yes leave the airlock on small temp changes will make the level of the wine rise and fall. A solid bung will just pop out.

Ditto.. Ditto.. Also keep the meta up every 90 days

Back