WineXpert Bulk Aged Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simpsini

Reaction score
I am bulk ageing an Eclipse Napa Valley Stag’s Leap District Merlot, one of the new kits out of WineXpert. I was thinking about bulk ageing it for 6 months, but was wondering if there was any benefit to it. It is clearing nicely now after beginning it 2 months ago and I stole a sip the other day & it is going to be very good. Here is my dilemma: Bottle of it at the end of March (as per the instructions) or bottle ½ then and bulk age the rest in a 3 gallon carboy and bottled the rest then? Does anyone believe the bulk aged wine will be better?

Bottle it right away and you may end up with sediment in your bottles.

Let it bulk age for a couple more months, then rack off the sediment and bottle it all then. The wine will end up with less (or no) sediment in the bottles.

Its always better to bulk age for at least 3-6 months for a big red and especially a high end kit with a grape pack or skins. You will continue to see fine sediment fall out for at least that amount of time so if you bottle now guess where the fine sediment will be deposited?

It might not be a "better" form of aging, but it can be more consistent. Aside from the sediment issues already mentioned, you should really bulk age this wine for at least a few months or until you really need the carboy. Beats finding space for the 30 or so bottles you can't drink, too.

Most people find that once bottled the temptation to try just "one" is off the charts especially if your new to this hobby/obsession. Remember you can always tweak things (acid levels, oak, backsweetening etc.) while its still in the carboy but once bottled it becomes pretty impossible to adjust anything

There are those who say bulk and bottle aging are the same and those who feel bulk aging is superior. There aren't many who believe bottle aging is better. My suggestion is a combination. Bulk age your wine for several months, at least until the wine's as clear as it could be and all the sediment has fallen. Then bottle or bulk age longer.

You suggested bulk aging some and bottle aging the balance. That's a nice idea in that you'll find out for yourself which you prefer.

I agree with Tony - do as you suggest, bottle half and further age the rest in your smaller carboy; then you will get first hand knowledge comparing them and this can help you decide on future choices.

Thanks all for the insight. I am going to bulk age for a few months. Ibglowin is right .. If it's not bottled then it's not such a great temptation to drink. I'll let you know how things turn out. Now I'm going to order more wine to make...,. I have 2 empty carboys so why not fill them!!!!!

How does one end up with 2 empty carboys?
Must have been a sale at the LHBS.

Well my Merlot has been bulk aging since Feb. Last night I stole some from the carboy. It was clear as can be and it tasted great. I'm always amazed at how good homemade kit wines are when compared to the store bought wine. I'm going to let it bulk age until Aug and then bottle. About 1/2 of it will be our Christmas wine. The other 1/2 I'm going to try and see if it will last until Christmas 2014. ;)

Latest posts

Back