Brute Totes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terroirdejeroir

Reaction score
Three of my ten gallon Brute trash can/fermentation vessels got ruined and I need to replace them. I am thinking of going with the 14-gallon Brute totes instead as it is a better size for me since a juice pail plus a lug doesn't really fit well in ten gallons.

Anyone have experience with these? If so, any issues?

More room is always better. I haven't used the 14 gal totes. But I have used the 20 gal trash cans. I prefer to have the wheel base so I can move them around easy when they are full.

By the way how do you ruin a brute?

I have a 20 gallon brute trash can that I ferment in. I have done 2 - 6 gallon juice buckets and 50 lbs of crushed grape must in it several times and it's maxed out when the ferment is rocking and the cap is huge.

I have two 20 gallon trash cans and a 30 gallon. I can make a triple batch of white in the 20's and a quadruple batch of anything in the 30. Mine do not have wheels which is not a problem for me because they just sit up on a bench for primary fermentation.

I have 2 @20 gallons and can easily do 3 lugs in each with plenty of room. I did 4 last year. At some point, I'll get the wheels for 'em. Like the idea of being able to move them around if needed.

I was wondering the same thing!! :D

Last edited:
I have several 20 gallon ones and one 30 gallon one, no wheels, but I did just buy for small furniture dollies. Now I can have whereof when I want to and none when I don't want to.

That is what I do with my two demijohns. I have them on furniture dollies which Harbor Freight sells for about $9 and support 1000 lbs.

More room is always better. I haven't used the 14 gal totes. But I have used the 20 gal trash cans. I prefer to have the wheel base so I can move them around easy when they are full.

It is a long story involving new home construction, but let's just call it chemical contamination. May not actually be ruined, but they are retired from fermentation service.

Latest posts

Back