Break in Brute Trash Can Fermenter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
Just bought a grey 30g can that I plan to use as a primary for all grape batches. I noticed that it smells like “new plastic” so was wondering if there are any steps that I need to take to get rid of that new plastic smell before using?

It’s a brand new can so any concern with that new plastic smell leaching into my wine the first time? Will just a Star San rinse be sufficient?

Just bought a grey 30g can that I plan to use as a primary for all grape batches. I noticed that it smells like “new plastic” so was wondering if there are any steps that I need to take to get rid of that new plastic smell before using?

It’s a brand new can so any concern with that new plastic smell leaching into my wine the first time? Will just a Star San rinse be sufficient?

If it’s me, I’d give the Brute a good washing with Oxi-Free and hit it with some kmeta before use.

I was always told to fill with baking soda / water and leave it for 24 hours to deodorize plastic

I have 4 Brutes, and every one I've started with a scrub out with PBW (Powdered brewery wash). I think it's an alkaline scrub similar to baking soda with some percarbonate in it. I use PBW to clean nearly everything and it's the stuff to remove residue associated with winemaking. Highly recommended.

I've never done much more than a (very) thorough rinsing. I put a half gallon of strong sulfite solution in it for an hour or two with the lid on before I use it each time too.

I’ve got it full of a PBW solution overnight. Will empty it tomorrow then give it a good starsan rinse before actual use. Thanks!

Is it the food grade Brute?

Fill with hot water, one step cleaner, and you should be fine.

Yup, it’s a grey can and the lid is stamped with NSF so I think it’s what others are using.

Latest posts

Back