Brandy in ports

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries Thig. I didn't think you were being argumentive at all. I agree with you when you make the distinction between Port and Port style. I meant to nuance that even further to make the distinction between the traditional Port making process and "the other" way.

My simple example was for the OP regarding Port's origin.

From my research, I have found that Port is wine that is made from grapes of a higher sugar concentration than most grapes. Neutral flavored grape brandy is added to stop fermentation. Doing so accomplishes a few things. But, mainly it suppresses the yeast leading to cessation of fermentation. The amount of fermented sugar in the must will dictate the retaliative sweetness of the finished product. Therefore, it would seem then that the wine's actual sweetness comes not from additions of sugar, but the original sugars in the must that doesn't ferment.

I've seen a number of folks here that chaptalize the must to ferment a wine of high ABV. The result is a "port style" wine of high ABV in that it is of a higher ABV than most wines. But, with what I have learned up to this point it's not how most Port is made. On the other hand, I've never had the occasion to sample such a wine I can't comment to it's quality.

All that being said what I think is more important is, "How does the wine taste?" In my humble opinion that is really all that matters.

Your absolutly right! Technicaly speaking about port wine. Ports grapes can have up to 22%ABV wen harvested, so the wine becomes very concentrated flavour wise, that appens becouse the grapes are very mature but also becouse of the wheather, that is very hot, and the soil, that is poor and very dry, starts to dehidrate the grapes, thats the reason of the full body and concentrated flavor of port wines.
Also the brandy used is of a very hi ABV, between 70 and 90%, becouse if you use a weaker one it will flavour the wine whith the brandy, and you would dilute the wine flavour, for you would have to use a lot of brandy.

No worries Thig. I didn't think you were being argumentive at all. I agree with you when you make the distinction between Port and Port style. I meant to nuance that even further to make the distinction between the traditional Port making process and "the other" way.

My simple example was for the OP regarding Port's origin.

From my research, I have found that Port is wine that is made from grapes of a higher sugar concentration than most grapes. Neutral flavored grape brandy is added to stop fermentation. Doing so accomplishes a few things. But, mainly it suppresses the yeast leading to cessation of fermentation. The amount of fermented sugar in the must will dictate the retaliative sweetness of the finished product. Therefore, it would seem then that the wine's actual sweetness comes not from additions of sugar, but the original sugars in the must that doesn't ferment.

I've seen a number of folks here that chaptalize the must to ferment a wine of high ABV. The result is a "port style" wine of high ABV in that it is of a higher ABV than most wines. But, with what I have learned up to this point it's not how most Port is made. On the other hand, I've never had the occasion to sample such a wine I can't comment to it's quality.

All that being said what I think is more important is, "How does the wine taste?" In my humble opinion that is really all that matters.

Your absolutly right! Technicaly speaking about port wine. Ports grapes can have up to 22%ABV wen harvested, so the wine becomes very concentrated flavour wise, that appens becouse the grapes are very mature but also becouse of the wheather, that is very hot, and the soil, that is poor and very dry, starts to dehidrate the grapes, thats the reason of the full body and concentrated flavor of port wines.
Also the brandy used is of a very hi ABV, between 70 and 90%, becouse if you use a weaker one it will flavour the wine whith the brandy, and you would dilute the wine flavour, for you would have to use a lot of brandy.

Just to answer your original question. To each 11.5 liter batch I add about 1.5 liters of brandy. Cuts the sweetness and brings the ABv up a tad. 6 batches and not a complaint. Good luck. Derek

Latest posts

Back