Raising ABV after fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winechef

Reaction score
I have 50 gallons of wine that stalled out, it's 11% I'd like 13% I won't have to back sweeten as its perfect sweetness stalling out with 1% sugar is fine for me.

I need to add some ever clear or brandy to it. but looking for a calculator that would. precisely give me the amount of high proof alcohol by abv to volume to raise 50 gallons 2% ABV

I searched but couldn't find. I. found to help me lower abv but not raise it

I have 50 gallons of wine that stalled out, it's 11% I'd like 13% I won't have to back sweeten as its perfect sweetness stalling out with 1% sugar is fine for me.

I need to add some ever clear or brandy to it. but looking for a calculator that would. precisely give me the amount of high proof alcohol by abv to volume to raise 50 gallons 2% ABV

I searched but couldn't find. I. found to help me lower abv but not raise it
Do a search for the Pearson Square, either on this site, or on google.

Gotta ask, because I have not done this, but is there a taste difference or do you sacrifice flavor by adding Ever Clear or fortifying wine?
I made a Port last December, fortifying and backsweetening red wine. I don't notice any heat -- if anything, it's dangerous because it's 20% ABV but doesn't taste it. I bottled in splits to over-indulging is not an issue.

As Bryan (@winemaker81 ) said, for your question, a Pearson square would work. I am attaching a zipped file of an Excel spreadsheet of a simple version of this.

Attachments

• simple pearson square.xlsx.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 0
If you use 95% grain alcohol (Everclear for example) you will need 4.62 liter to raise 50 gallons from 11% to 13%. If you use 75.5% Everclear , you will need 6.06 liter to raise ABV from 11% to 13%.

Thanks everyone.

raising just a little never altered the flavor, just let it age with oak a little.

Hello! The information and links herein are useful for one of my wines which I’ll probably fortify just a bit, so thanks.

Not to hijack the thread, but conversely if one wanted to reduce ABV after fermentation, are there guides? I’ve fermented a 1gal nettle wine which is coming out at 15.6%… would prefer 13!

Hello! The information and links herein are useful for one of my wines which I’ll probably fortify just a bit, so thanks.

Not to hijack the thread, but conversely if one wanted to reduce ABV after fermentation, are there guides? I’ve fermented a 1gal nettle wine which is coming out at 15.6%… would prefer 13!
It's exactly the same situation, just viewed from the other side of the fence. The same exact equation is used. Think of it as instead of raising the ABV of a wine, you're lowering the ABV of the spirit.

However, the choice off what to use to reduce the ABV is a difficult choice. You need to add something with flavor, else you dilute the flavor. DO NOT use water.

A complimentary low ABV wine is ideal, or if backsweetening, use a complementary juice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back