WineXpert brake bleeder pumps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwino54

Reaction score
Ok guys, saw one at autozone for 35$$. Think this will degass sufficiently?? Anyone have some pointers for using it?? Those youtube videos are drivin me to the cellar!!

I bought one at Harbor Freight for about $25 and it was worth every penny and then some.

I have a selection of Thomas brand electric vacuum pumps that I haven't gotten around to listing on e-bay just yet. I have 12 volt, 120 volt, and 220 volt models, some new, some used, some factory refurbished. They're great for vacuum racking and de-gassing. If anyone is interested, send me a pm.

It's just a bit more than buying a vacuum pump, you need the correct fittings, hoses, overflow, and to make it worth while you need to fabricate a bottling system. If you're just pulling a vacuum on a carboy, that's easy, but if you go to the expense of getting a pumpyou want to get all yyou can get out of it.

It's just a bit more than buying a vacuum pump, you need the correct fittings, hoses, overflow, and to make it worth while you need to fabricate a bottling system. If you're just pulling a vacuum on a carboy, that's easy, but if you go to the expense of getting a pumpyou want to get all yyou can get out of it.

The additional items beyond the pump itself, required to vacuum rack and vacuum de-gas is minimal. Bottling with a pump is a bit more involved, but I still bottle the old fashioned way because it's so simple as is, it doesn't require a mechanical solution.

I have to disagree about the bottling part, when I was doing it "the old fashioned way", I would loose 1/2 to 1 bottle every time. With the system I use I don't even loose a teaspoon. I spent the extra and got the whole shebang from Steve at all in one, I love the way it makes everything easy.

I have to disagree about the bottling part, when I was doing it "the old fashioned way", I would loose 1/2 to 1 bottle every time.

What?!? Was "the old fashioned way" trying to pour from the carboy into a funnel? :?

I use a fermtech bottle filler:

LSiphValv2.jpg

...and the most I have ever spilled is a drop off the tip of the valve.

Mine never w8rked that well. Either the thing would not shut off or something else but the bucket I used would have 1" in the bottom. On top of that, I now don't have to sit in the floor to bottle, also no rinsing them when I'm done.

I use a fermtech bottle filler:

LSiphValv2.jpg

...and the most I have ever spilled is a drop off the tip of the valve.

I have the same experience as jsiddall. However, well, it is possible to fill a glass from the simple bottle filler, unlike the vacuum-assisted one. Therefore, I have been known to "lose" quite a bit more than a drop during the bottling process... ;)

I am glad to know that I am not the only person that has problems with "lost" wine on bottling day:)

I have also noticed the last half of the bottles take less time to fill than the first half (although they make twice the mess...)

I use a Vacu Vin to degas my wine. It does take a lot of pumping over the course of several days but it does get the job done. If I could get an electric powered vacuum pump that would do the degassing I'd be a happy camper.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjL80hXkHdI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjL80hXkHdI[/ame]

Latest posts

Back