WineXpert Bourgeron Blanc (now Coastal White)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwwino

Reaction score
I am starting a 7.5 l Vintner's Reserve Bourgeron Blanc which George had on closeout this past summer due to the replacement by the 10 l VR Coastal White. I presume this is predominantly Chardonnay. Has anyone used oak either during fermentation or in aging? Has anyone tried batonnage with this kit? If so, I'd like to know what your results were.

Well, it looks like I'll have to experiment given the lack of response. I plan to add some french oak chips during primary fermentation and a pound of golden raisins (though I'm still debating the latter). During aging, I'll add some Stavin American Oak cubes for a couple of months. I will also do batonnage the first month. I'll let y'all know how this turns out. Edited by: dfwwino

Experiment away dfwwino and let us know how it goes. I guess not many have done this one that are willing to share comments on..............

dfw,
While by no means am I an expert, I think adding the oak after primary is complete is better for extraction. Don't think oak in primary anywhere near adequate. Sounds like you will have some fun with this one. Keep us posted.

I started this kit tonight. The SG was 1.083. I added 4 oz. French oak chips and 15 oz. of Golden Raisins for primary fermentation. I will also add Stavin Medium Toast Oak Cubes after secondary fermentation and batonnage.

I just racked from secondary fermentation, added sulfites and am now lees stirring every other day. This wine tastes great so far. I think the oak chips and raisins added some complexity.

Latest posts

Back