WineXpert Bought marbles for topping off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzy

Junior
Reaction score
I normally top off my carboys with commercial wine. At times I need 3+ bottles. I just started making wine a few months ago and don't have any of my own bottled. Currently I have 8 wines in carboys and it gets expensive.

So off I went to E-Bay and bought 4000+ clear mosaic glass marbles. No I didn't count them
smiley36.gif
. The local craft store would have cost me and arm and at least 2 wine kits
smiley2.gif

My first test will be the CC Amarone and Barbera.

Salute
Gizzy

3 bottles to top off, you got get more out of the primary and secondary
there. Your wasting a lot of money and not getting the true taste of
your wine partner.

now im new to the winemaking world.. But the most I have ever had to use was half a bottle....which I thought was alot...
smiley12.gif

I have also used about 1 bottle to top off, but never three. Where are you topping off at? Where you most of you consider the bottom of the bung? I assume the bottom of the neck of the carboy where the last line is? Then do you go two inches from that?

one of the best tips i have used recently came form someone here - sorry i forgot who lol - but it is this.....
wooden wedge. you place it under one side of the carboy the day before you rack. sediment goes to one side, then you put the end of the racking wand in the other and carefully tip it as the wine is removed.
this has saved me from a lot of topping off
cheers

jojo

jojo said:
wooden wedge. you place it under one side of the carboy the day before you rack. sediment goes to one side, then you put the end of the racking wand in the other and carefully tip it as the wine is removed.

JoJo,
Great tip I will have to try that on my Cabernet I have going now..

Gizzy,

Jojo's tip of "tipping" the carboy will provide more wine. Also, don't get so concerned about a little bit of sediment getting racked out. If you are like most, you will rack af wine a few times before you bottle and there is ample time to loose the sediment. I liked jojo's idea of the wedge the day before. I always tip mine during and the sediment slides down and clouds the last cup or two up.

Thanks jojo!

Oh and one more thing ....Don't loose your marbles over this racking thing....
smiley4.gif

Back