Bottles Green, Clear and mildew

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
I need a good bottle brush. When washing bottles I come across one here and there that have a tiny spot of mildew. Easy to see because its clear. I made a tool to reach it but you cant see it in the green bottles.
Does the K-meta bath pretty much take care of it? Still I need a good bottle brush. Everyone I have tried I cant get past the opening. Suggestions?

kmeta will not get rid of mildew....i would add a small amount of bleech...
god forbid...fill with water... and rinse with hot water a few times, shake like hell, then with cold water....end of story...I bleech every bottle i use.
If its safe enough for hospitals,nursing care, restaraunts,fast food places its good enough for my wine..u just have to rinse well.

Rinse the bottles out when you emptying them and if these are bottles others are giving you, rinse those out as soon as you get them as well. If you rinse them out you should not have a problem with mildew. Also, I don't understand why your bottle brush is not fitting into the bottle, it is just a thin wire with bristles that bend.

Rinse the bottles out when you emptying them and if these are bottles others are giving you, rinse those out as soon as you get them as well. If you rinse them out you should not have a problem with mildew. Also, I don't understand why your bottle brush is not fitting into the bottle, it is just a thin wire with bristles that bend.
I understand the bottle brush issue! I have bought several that just will not fit into a wine bottle. All of them came from L D Carlsons through my local home brew shop. I finally bought some from More Beer that actually fit into a wine bottle.

You know the bottle brush you get with your kit? Cut the loop (thing you hang it by) off, chuck it in a drill, sinkof hot water and dawn works every time.

the one I got with my kit is for the carboy cant even get that one though. I always rinse my bottles so not sure why still some get a little spot of mildew. The bottle brushes that do get through are to short. lol. Im sure I will find one eventually. Just thought maybe ya'll had one to recommend

Last edited:
Cut it and drill?? Yeah right. The only drill Iv ever used has a whip on it for my wine lol

Well I pay 2.95 for these brushes, I get maybe 200 bottles before throwing it out and getting another. Your local wine supply store should have them.

James I worked in restaurants and I always put just a splash of bleach in my dishwater because of it. Just a quick splash. I wash my wine glasses first. thats a big no no too. Iv never noticed lol . I rather not if I can get a brush that will fit but if I have to I will

Last edited:
I exaggerate when I say Iv never used a drill or a saw. But come on there is a brush out there that's gotta fit right? lol

Mine has that wire loop too but Iv lengthened it for my carboy and it works but was a pain in the butt. I need a new one and Id like to have one I dont have to alter. I guess I will just get a baby bottle brush and lengthen it. I gotta go to my supply place next week I will ask him what he has. Thanks guys for your time

Actually, I had the same problem last night. I bought 5 cases of used bottles off Craigslist for $2.50 a case. They looked pretty nice but although I had soaked them overnight, I noticed some had a residual mold like thing in the bottom. I have a power carboy brush which is marginal for cleaning a carboy so I took off the upper felt flappers and just used the bottom felt. It worked great. I used it by hand, not on the drill.

Here's what it looks like when in action, the blue flaps spin when on a drill. Very much like a car wash.
powercarboybrush__14798.png

I think something could pretty easily be rigged using a new shower scrubber and a long wooden spoon handle as well. This is just what came to mind at the time.

Last edited:
oh wow, Iv never seen that one.Thanks Lori I will consider it thanks

It dont do mold very well. If you get one be careful and dont jamb the thing against the bottom ot the bottle, it wii tear the bottom cleaners things off.

It dont do mold very well. If you get one be careful and dont jamb the thing against the bottom ot the bottle, it wii tear the bottom cleaners things off.

Its never been bad mold. If it were, Id just toss the bottle. Its always just a spot easily removed when it can be reached! I have decided after tonight I will wash bottle's... what ever I have, every night to keep up on them

Back