Bottled my first product today!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilesDavis

Reaction score
I'm positively beaming right now. My batch of Apfelwein just went into the bottles today. Nice and clear, with great color. 5 liter batch yielded 4 750 ml bottles of still wine, two 750 ml bottles that I added dextrose to for carbonation and one 375 ml bottle that was pretty cloudy, so I just slapped an airlock on it for now.
Even at around 4 weeks, I wouldn't call it undrinkable. The potential for greatness is certainly there. Next batch will be much bigger.

That's how I got the wine "bug". One tiny little one gallon experimental batch and then WHAM,next thing you know there is 2-5 gallon ,2-6 gallon carboys and 2 large fermenters bubbling away lol. Well done Miles!

I'm positively beaming right now. My batch of Apfelwein just went into the bottles today. Nice and clear, with great color. 5 liter batch yielded 4 750 ml bottles of still wine, two 750 ml bottles that I added dextrose to for carbonation and one 375 ml bottle that was pretty cloudy, so I just slapped an airlock on it for now.
Even at around 4 weeks, I wouldn't call it undrinkable. The potential for greatness is certainly there. Next batch will be much bigger.

How did you seal the bottles you are carbing? Hopefully not with just a standard wine cork. If so I would expect the carbonation to push out the corks. You should use champagne bottles and cap them or cork them with wire ties. Beer bottles work to if you cap them.

Thanks everybody. I definitely have the bug now, and on the hunt for more glass. :)

How did you seal the bottles you are carbing? Hopefully not with just a standard wine cork. If so I would expect the carbonation to push out the corks. You should use champagne bottles and cap them or cork them with wire ties. Beer bottles work to if you cap them.

I put it in 22.5 oz beer bottles and used crown caps.

Back