Bottle Aging Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadarLuv

Reaction score
To free up a carboy I decided to bottle age a Mosti alljuice Merlot. I understand about adding the k meta while bulk aging but what about bottle aging? I plan to age this 12 to 18 months. I assume it is better protected from oxygen in the bottle than bulk aging in the carboy. Have I got this right?

I only added what was included with the kit and bottled as soon as clearing was complete. Started the kit Feb 3rd and bottled on the 28th.

That is to fast to bottle 25 days for a all juice they needlonger. I'm sure the directions did not say 25 days to bottle.

I would suggest to get more carboys.

remember the 3 P's

Patience

Patience

Patience

That is most likely going to drop some sediment in the bottles. I would have also added 1/4 tsp more of k-meta unless you plan on drinking them within the next 2 years.

So when your instructions tell you after your wine is clear the next step is bottling you should leave it in a carboy for awhile before you actually bottle the wine? If so, what is a fair amount of time before you bottle?

Sediment, yep that figures. Well, that gives me a chance to decant them which I have read will really help a younger wine.

The bigger the kit the more it should age as there will be more solids. I really hate the fact they they dont warn anyone about possible sediment from bottling at this point. A minimum for a 15 liter kit or bigger IMO is 6 months after racking off the fining agent. There will be lees droppage during this time and I would probably rack after 3 months and add another 1/4 tsp of k-meta at that point and then in another 3 months rack off that if there is more sediment and add another 1/4 tsp and bottle or bulk age longer.

Sadie said:
So when your instructions tell you after your wine is clear the next step is bottling you should leave it in a carboy for awhile before you actually bottle the wine? If so, what is a fair amount of time before you bottle?

It's not uncommon to let it go for a year. I have a Amarone that I did a MLF on that I will age in the carboy for at least 12 months.
Whites don't need to age as long.
Just gives you a reason to make more wine so you can "catch up" on the aging thing.
smiley36.gif

Yep, that sounds like a plan. I will buy a couple more carboys, as I can't slow down production at this point
smiley2.gif

I have already bottled two kits after they had cleared, a CC Cabernet Merlot, whichteasted really good even though it was justbottled, I sure hope I didn't mess that one up, and a VN Merlot which when I teasted it before I bottled it teasted awful. That one sure needs some time. From now on I will let the stay in the carboy for about 6 months before I bottle

RadarLuv said:
Yep, that sounds like a plan. I will buy a couple more carboys, as I can't slow down production at this point
smiley2.gif

And more, and more, and more etc....
You can not ever have enough carboys. Take it from someone who knows.
smiley36.gif

Right Wade?

RadarLuv said:
Tepe and Wade are out of control and I seem to be in their foot steps. Help!

RADAR,
That means YOU belong here... Welcome!!

most kit wines will last if made and man. correctly 2 to 3 years before peaking (reds) whites 2 yrs, fresh juice the way we make it about the same,,,,time is a preference on taste,,,,most of the time most wines can be and in some cases should be consumed young..lets face it people as the wine gets older so do we
smiley36.gif
who can wit 5 to 10 years to taste aged grape juice................
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
case in ponit tepes amarone either young or aged makes no difference ,its process well and taste great now could taste better,amarone has a 10 yr. peak point if made right according to the italian wine amakers in italy....tahst their point of view or drunk young and exploring the fruityness on the vine...see its a matter of taste and or time.......chanti 5 yrs. in the barral before it can be considered chanti......thats italian by laws...........

Yes Fish1, there is a group of us that go kayaking as often as we can. Do you kayak? We are doing a weekend trip the first weekend in April.. we are going to Arkansas, if your interested let me know.

If you are bulk aging does it make any difference if you bulk age in a glass carboy vs. a plastic carboy. The glass carboy is so heavy I have a hard time moving it.

I sure hope it doesn't make a difference because I had to go with the plastic due to not being able to pick up a full glass carboy.

TinaLouise (and a kayaker on the east coast)

Back