Body

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyandkory

Reaction score
How much body can you actually add to a wine.

Can you add enough that if feels thick when you drink it?
Or makes you think you might want to chew lol

Maybe you can, but to get it that thick, it might not taste so good anymore.

A few things that can add body or mouth feel:
Gum Arabic
Glycerin
Oak
Tannins
(Also the type of yeast you use can affect mouth feel.)
Sugar
I am sure there are others.

Gum Arabic
Glycerin
Oak
Tannins
Sugar
To further what Robie said, I have read that too much glycerine can impart a metallic taste.

Steve

Gum Arabic
Glycerin
Oak
Tannins
Sugar

Others...

raisins in primary (golden or dark...about 1/2 lb or more per gallon)
bananas in primary (2 lbs/gallon minimum)
honey

Who has more?

I do not know if you are making wine from grapes. If you are, here are some other (non-additive) things that you can try..

1) allow the juice to sit on the skins longer (maceration)
2) "punch-down" the raft of skins more often
3) when first out of the crusher/destemer, remove a portion of the free run juice. This will increase the amount of grapes skins relative to the amount of juice that you have (or will concentrate the "body" one gets from the skins).

All of the above have worked well for me.

johnT.

3) when first out of the crusher/destemer, remove a portion of the free run juice. This will increase the amount of grapes skins relative to the amount of juice that you have (or will concentrate the "body" one gets from the skins).

I've never even thought about that one, but it makes sense! Hell of an idear

To further what Robie said, I have read that too much glycerine can impart a metallic taste.

Steve

Also, gotta be careful with glygerin; it can make a dry wine taste sweet in a hurry.

I filtered and bottled yesterday a gallon of (?) something I found sitting on the shelf for 6-8 months ago. I had racked several times and it has been clear for the last two.
I have no idea what it is. All I knew is it was red! I think it may have been the balance from a big batch that was set aside for top off and I forgot what it was for .... No idea where it may have come from but it tasted really good except that it was flat like water.
That is what got me to thinking about body.

Now lets say you are making a wine that is not grapes <<< or skinless>>>.... what then .... only bananas and raisins... I am not much one for heavy oak either.

I filtered and bottled yesterday a gallon of (?) something I found sitting on the shelf for 6-8 months ago. I had racked several times and it has been clear for the last two.
I have no idea what it is. All I knew is it was red! I think it may have been the balance from a big batch that was set aside for top off and I forgot what it was for .... No idea where it may have come from but it tasted really good except that it was flat like water.
That is what got me to thinking about body.

Now lets say you are making a wine that is not grapes <<< or skinless>>>.... what then .... only bananas and raisins... I am not much one for heavy oak either.

Shame on you for not labeling everything!
(Just kidding, I have done the same thing recently.)

For a fruit wine, take a small sample (a measured quantity in a glass) and try either gum arabic or glycerin. Add either in very small increments with a measured eye dropper, stir well and taste, then repeat if necessary. You can't add very much before these start affecting the taste, so be careful. However, they will add body/mouth-feel if used correctly. Too much glycerin will make the wine taste sweeter.

JohnT great suggestions thanks for sharing. Now if one was to do Welches and wanted to add body, whats your experience? :)

Try straining it through week-old dirty socks. It can only help.

Disclaimer: The above is just part of a long running joke. Please do not be offended by the above comment. I am sure that fan's of Welches wine make some pretty good stuff. The above is just intended as a point of humor.

Disclaimer: The above is just part of a long running joke. Please do not be offended by the above comment. I am sure that fan's of Welches wine make some pretty good stuff. The above is just intended as a point of humor.

I, for one, am deeply offended. My dirty socks don't deserve such an insult! :) I've got to wear those socks again! How will I get them clean of the Welch's stain afterwards??

The raised pinkie crowd is here! :)

lol :) when I was thinking of BODY the feet part was not what I had in mind lol

It was just part of a long running joke. Honest!

I'm glad to see everyone has a great sense of humor. John I right, what we are referring to goes back several years with Julie, myself and another member along with John. John couldn't imagine anyone making wine out of Welches juice as he has only used grapes. Yes you can teach an old dog new tricks, but it would be going back wards from someone like John who has been making wine for many many years. So, there you go and yes I will still continue to harass him as he will me all in good fun.

I thought Welch's was used to add body to thin wine-grape wine?!

Latest posts

Back