Blending with Merlot and White Zinfindel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
While at my grocer this morning I noticed they have Carlo Rossi White Zin and Merlot for $10 in the 4L glass jugs. I started thinking about how this would taste blended with my semi sweet red muscadine and concord wine.

Has anyone done this?

Never done it but all it takes is a glass and a measuring cup. Go for it. You can never tell what you will find unless you try it. Sounds like it would be a fun wine.

Last week I blended a Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon and a Sauvignon Blanc. I just added the red a little at a time until it looked good. It looked awesome. It took on a fabulous color and as clear as a bell. It just didn't taste like anything. As both of the wines were dry wines I may have better luck blending a sweeter wine to a dry one.

I've blended Matthew Fox Zin (too sweet) with a Fish Eye Pinot Gris 50%/50% and it turned out good.
I've labeled those bottles "Fish Eyed Fox"

Bench test before you mix bottles for the right taste with a measuring cup and wine glass.

I did it because I thought the Matthew Fox was too sweet and it gave me the opportunity to practice mixing wines.

Wineries do it. Home wine makers can too.

Last week I blended a Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon and a Sauvignon Blanc. I just added the red a little at a time until it looked good. It looked awesome. It took on a fabulous color and as clear as a bell. It just didn't taste like anything. As both of the wines were dry wines I may have better luck blending a sweeter wine to a dry one.
Keep track of your exact measurements since you like what you have and just add a little bit od sugar until it's where you like it. Nothing wrong with adding sugar to red wine. When you're ready to make your final blend don't forget meta and sorbate.

Latest posts

Back