Blackberry wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michjen

Reaction score
I just racked a 5G carboy tasted bitter!!! It's been sitting for 6 months how do I go about sweetening it up a little? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

There is a few ways.
Questions...Is it clear.
Is it still dropping sediment.

If clear, you can add sorbate and backsweeten, with a simple syrup.
If it does not have the blackberry flavor, you can make a fpac by reducing some blackberries down to a syrup. *Basically*

If its astringent there is things to do for that also...Sometimes blackberry is.

Things I do with Blackberry Wine:

1. Medium Toast Hungarian Oak Cubes (2 per gallon for 90 days) I like what they do to this wine.
2. Egg White Fining (Google for directions) to reduce astringent.
3. Glycerin (1 tsp per gallon) to smooth and add mouth feel.
4. Backsweeten with Simple syrup

When I backsweeten I do it a little at a time. Normally a cup of sugar and then wait a month and taste before adding more.

It's clear! How much sorbate do I add before using the syrup?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

the directions for the sorbate should be on the package..i hardley use it.

I am not advising you do this, one of the things I have been doing is adding 1 1/8 teaspoons of gum arabic to my blackberry when I move to my second vessel....for me it has changed my wine for the best.
I also use egg whites for finning on my blackberry.

Before sweetening, make sure it has been racked off any sediment. Then make sure you have recently added either 5 campden tablets crushed in a bit of water or wine and throughly stirred or 1/4 teaspoon of k-meta. Then mix (most manufacturers) 1/2 teaspoon PER gallon or a bit less than 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons to a little water. Mix it in the water and wait for it to turn clear(with a bit of a yellow color). Add that to the carboy and stir well. Some will sweeten right away and some will give it a few days before sweetening. I see no difference myself. Give it a week and if no bubbles forming it is safe to bottle at that point.

Latest posts

Back