Blackberry varities

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those look wonderful Bob!! I do have a question though. I believe I know the answer , but I want to be sure. To prune my black errors and raspberries, I cut at closest bud at a 45 correct?

Thanks!

That's it. I tip them just above a bud/node with the angle more or less matching the petiole of the top leaf I'm leaving [pun intended]. Nothing special about the angle, just an angle to allow moisture to run off of the cut.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts!! I need to prune them tonight. They are almost 6 feet tall and starting to lean.

Fix them prunings up and start new plants with 'em!

I would love to, but I don't have a way to callous the cuttings. . Hopefully, next year I will be able to once we get our greenhouse built.

These are blackberries... Pretty weed-like, usually... You can probably just shove your cuttings in some dirt, give them good light & lots of water.. and probably have 50% survival rate.. If you use a rooting hormone, or some sort of plastic covering over the top to keep humidity in, you'll just increase your chances...

A 6-7" cutting is about all you need.. A couple nodes go under the soil, a couple above
A lot easier to propagate than grapes

I've done it... They look pretty sad for about two weeks but then they come around

Thanks Deezil!! I have some rooting hormone that I used on some forsythia bushes. I'll give it a try. What the worst that can happen!

if you dont have rooting hormone you can boil some willow bark and leaves and dip the ends of the cuttings in the cooled tea and is suposed to permote rooting

jim

Here is another follow up on my plants. As of right now all previous fruiting canes have been removed.

1. Apache - Only 1 new cane from 2 plants that is growing pretty slow
2. Ouchita - Many canes came up to about 6-12 inches and then withered and died
3. Natchez - Looking good. At least 1-2 new canes per plant and growing very well.

I will definitely replace the Apache and I am considering replacing the Ouchita all with Natchez.

Back