Blackberry Jam Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarswamp

Reaction score
Started a blackberry jam wine on Monday, pitched the yeast yesterday. Probably my mistake but I didnt bag the jam, so now I'm punching down the cap, so far once tonight. Question is how often do I need to do this, and how to handle the cap when I get closer to the end of fermentation, scoop it out before racking?

I have never fermented with a cap but I have seen where you generally punch it down at least twice a day.

punch it down a couple times a day and by the time it is done fermenting the cap will have disolved into the wine. I have made the blackberry jam wine before and never put it inot a bag.

I just finished bottling blackberry jam wine and then skeeter pee that I started in March 2012 and I think this is the best tasting wine and skeeter pee I have made . No need to bag the jam. If the cap is too thick just punch it down like Julie suggested. My suggestion is to make a batch of blackberry skeeter pee in the primary after racking the wine to secondary. Go ahead now and get some lemon juice / sugar oxidizing off the preservatives then after you rack wine just dump lemon juice /sugar into your blackberry sediment bucket.

Thanks, punched it down again this morning and again when I got home from work and checked the SG (after buying my 3rd and 4th hydrometer in a month) :) , smelled so good I had to take a little taste, little sweet at 1.070 but if it keeps this flavor when its done it's definitely gonna be a winner.

Hmmm, blackberry skeeter pee, I'm gonna need more carboys. :)

Gary- Skeeter Pee Carboys are not expensive. Mine are called Nestle 5 gallon PETE 1 water bottles from the grocery store.

LOL, I can get 6 gallon glass ones for $28 local, was gonna head down after work today to pick one up......decided to do it tomorrow. :) I think I'm addicted to the smell of fermentation already, an empty primary is unacceptable, glad I decided against a second primary.... for now. :D

LOL, I can get 6 gallon glass ones for $28 local, was gonna head down after work today to pick one up......decided to do it tomorrow. :) I think I'm addicted to the smell of fermentation already, an empty primary is unacceptable, glad I decided against a second primary.... for now. :D

:sI really dislike you right now!!:D

Latest posts

Back