Blackberry Cyder

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Here is what I did. Now, should I add K-Meta and Sorbate again.

3/16/11
1 gallon of blackberry Cider (Amish Wedding)
*Blackberry juice & Apple Cider from Concentrate (with wate to reconstitute
& Nat Flavor. Pasteurized
pH = 3.6
added 1 tsp yeast nutrient
added 1/4 tsp tannin
added 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
3/17/11
pitched yeast = red star premier curvee
added 1 cup of sugar syrup to get SpGr to 1.080
3/21/11
Transferred to primary @ SpGr 1.010
3/24/11 AM
SpGr 1.000
PM Added 1/2 crushed campden tablet
Added 1/4 tsp sorbate (that's what my package calls for 1 gallon)
3/25/11
back sweetened to SpGr 1.025
Added Sparkilloid = 3tbsp = Hot
3/27/11
Racked
Lots of CO2
4/8/11
Racked
Still lots of CO24/20/11
Sp GR 1.000

Here is my question:
I think I should wait about a week to make sure it doesn't go any lower.
*Should I add K-Meta and Sorbate again after a week is up?

Thanks

Semper Fi

No you dont need but 1 sorbate addition. I would leave it alone for longer than a week. I would set it back for another month or two and let mother nature finish up.

You need to degas your wine really good before using a fining agent or it wont work or work as good as it should meaning you will drop out more sediment as your wine gets degassed better from rackings or from degassing.

Black Berry Wine

Why won't my vine quit bubbling? Last nite I added another dose of K-Meta and Sorbate. I've de-gassed good. It still bubbles. I think I back sweetened too soon, the SpGr is creaping down. I thought two doses of K-Meta and Sorbate would at least slow it down. What should I do, just wait it out?

Thanks

Semper Fi

Bud, I think you need to slow down the rate of your wine making. The batch was started on March 16. The transfer to the secondary was March 24 and sorbate was added a day later. I think you should stretch out the time lines to make sure all of the steps have finished before proceeding to the next step.

Befor you add your K Meta and sorbate do an SG reading. Record reading and wait 2 or 3 days. If its the same fermentation is done and you can degass, stabilize and add Fining agents. The Hydrometer is your best friend when making wine

Also,

You only sorbate once... in that time frame you weren't ready for more K meta either. It would be a good idea to read up on the process wine goes through during fermentation, it helps you understand what you are seeing and tasting at different stages. We all rushed a little in our early days... but this was a REAL rush job!! Relax... sit back... watch the airlock bubble.
Once the yeast has done it's job... there is still degassing that happens, and needs to happen. If you are getting this to bottle quickly, you'll need to manually degas... if on the laid back method... mother nature will take care of it in 6-12 months for you while the wine integrates!

Debbie

Latest posts

Back