bitter taste from Vintners Harvest raspberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonmaster42

Reaction score
I had two cans of Vintners Harvest raspberry - one was added to a Zinfindel concentrate and the other used to make an apple/raspberry wine. In both cases the wines had a very tart/bitter taste from the raspberries. I was wondering if anyone else had found this?

I backsweetened the Raspberry Zin about a month ago after an initial aging ofabout 3 months. This seemed to help that one (which reminds me I need to give it a quick taste to checkit). I just racked the Apple/raspberry out of the secondary last night and am going to age it a few months before doing anything to it.

I have only used the Raspberry once and did not encounter this problem.

How long did you have the cans Anthony? Where were they stored?

I got themprobably about 3-4 months before I used the first one earlier this year. The second I started another 3 months after that. Kept them in a cabinet next to the sink. The cans looked okay on the outside.

I know, I didn't get them from George!! That's the problem.

What was the zin concentrate? A full size kit or the canned concentrate? and did you add any tannin... that might lead to a bitter sensation.

I've had fruit wine that tasted bitter in the process before bottling, then smoothed out along the way. Give them time and then revisit your opinion?

I agree with pelican on this too. My brother in law made some wine using Alexanders Concentrate and we both thought it was horrendous. Others have used it with success but I myself will never spend a cent on it ever.

the Zin concentrate wasn't Alexanders - SunCal maybe? Have to work on my note taking.
smiley9.gif
Since the apple/raspberry had the same taste, I figured it was the raspberries. Backsweetening the Zin helped and brought out more of the raspberry flavor. I plan on giving the apple/raspberry 3-4 months to age and I'll probably do the same to that.
I have made the Alexanders Petite Syrah and a Pinot Noir and they came out quite good after they had aged at least a year.Younger than that, they weren'tgreat.

Quick update on these - the raspberry Zin got about 3 ozs of med oak added to it for about a month. This really brought the zinfandel more to the front and helped the taste. Still a bit tart, but it's getting better.

The apple/raspberry had a fpack made from apple concentrate added to it earlier this month. Haven't tasted it lately. Wonder what some oak would do for that one?

I second the emotion on Alexander's if you are using it alone trying to make something worthwhile. If you figure what you spend for it and what it makes a low end kit is just about the same money and you get the yeast and all the additives with a kit and a much better end result. I have used them to make a blended wines, lately a Cranberry Beaujolais. All I can say for how that came out is WOW!

As for the raspberry wine being bitter, raspberries have a lot of acid. The reason I think the sweetening made it better. More time in the bottle might help. Relax, have a homebrew.

dragonmaster42 said:
Quick update on these - the raspberry Zin got about 3 ozs of med oak added to it for about a month. This really brought the zinfandel more to the front and helped the taste. Still a bit tart, but it's getting better.

The apple/raspberry had a fpack made from apple concentrate added to it earlier this month. Haven't tasted it lately. Wonder what some oak would do for that one?

Amazing what time will do! Apple takes oak very well. I would go light handed with a med. toast, and start checking after 3 weeks.
VC

Latest posts

Back