Bigger batch containers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Daylo

Reaction score
As what it seems like almost everyone on here I am using 6/5 gallon carboys. I am fermenting in a 16 gallon stainless bucket which has been working great. I have id say 12 carboys at the moment(9 of them full).

We recently did a 10 gallon batch of Raspberry Cabernet and used 2 carboys. I would like to start doing all 10 or 15 gallon batches(even 20 would be fine) but really don't want to be cleaning and racking 3 carboys every time.

I researched the crap out of different containers to use in place of carboys. Found the easywine kits and conical ones but all were way over budget(500+ each) or more for commercial and huge.

I'd like to shy away from plastic as I had to dump 15 gallons of grape wine and a bunch of equipment last year due to one of my plastic fermenters being what I assume was scratched and caused bacteria. I have seen the Speidel plastic containers and at the price point it is tough to pass up but I just don't want a repeat of the fateful wine dump day.

What do the people that are making bigger quantities using? We don't filter(tried it didn't like the amount of flavor it took out) so we stick to racking. We will be buying a AllInOnePump set up this week for the carboys but am happy to buy a transfer pump for bigger set ups as well.

Welcome to the forum.

What about a 54 L (14 gallon) demijohn:

http://www.morebeer.com/products/glass-demijohn-14-54-narrow-mouth-plastic-basket.html?gclid=CPOLg8Xn3skCFQyPaQodGAQF-Q

14982.jpg

Thanks!! Hello fellow Milwaukeeian!

I've seen those. I thought about it but I've heard they are pretty fragile and can't really be used with the AIOP from Steve. Which isn't the end of the world. Not saying no to them. I just figured there was something that I somehow missed out there besides those.

I would go with the glass 54 liter demijohn. I have used these for years and love them.

Yes, they are fragile, but not as fragile as you might think. With a little care, they are just fine....

You can always look at a keg. You being in Milwaukee there's got to be some laying around. I have 3 and they are great to use and handles make it easy to move around.

Norcal,

That's a great price! is that a 225 liter?

Edit: Duh! 60 gallons, you even say so.....

Nice. I bought one of my own last fall and also built my own stand...

IMG_20150919_111640_251.jpg

IMG_20151024_101450_740.jpg

IMG_20151108_191702_028.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to find some barrels of that size for the price he paid. All depends on type of wood.

I've thought about the keg idea. Would work pretty well in terms of storage and you could use a vacuum pump on it. The big downside I saw was you can't easily clean a beer keg I would think and know it is clean as you can't see inside. I would be able to get some kegs pretty easily.

For a while I debated cutting the top off and somehow making the top piece a "lid" that I can reseal. Take lid off to clean. Put back on for fermenting and aging. I couldn't think of a good way to creat the seal again though.

Last edited:
A barrel is definitely a great choice. But for price/convenience, I think a flextank is a great option.

That is an amazingly good price ($350.00). What did you do about a stand for them?

I bought a $12 furniture dolly from harbor freight and screwed in a few wood wedges to keep it in place. That way I can move them around my garage easily.

Getting back to the OP, I found that there are some real time economies with making larger quantities of wine from grapes. I look at every winery I know and I see barrels remain as the standard aging vessel. This is why I decided on going with barrels for the larger crushes, but have a flex tank and carboys for flexibility.
dfdb3c239ae895b0e8cc26d6b606c5e7.jpg

I bought a $12 furniture dolly from harbor freight and screwed in a few wood wedges to keep it in place. That way I can move them around my garage easily.

What a great idea, that may remove the wife's last (or hopefully last) objection to a barrel. Humm. I think I found my Christmas present to myself. Thanks.

So after lots of debate and research. I am thinking I am going to go with stainless steel beer kegs. And use them just like car boys. They are pretty cheap(150 for brand new or way cheaper used if I can find them), easy to come by, very strong and can take a vacuum pump without a problem.

Using the AIO pump with a tip on the end will help with sediment. I rack every batch about 5 times so sediment isn't a super concern. Being able to easily use the AIO pump is a major plus side for me. And it being stainless so cleaning is easy and they will last a life time. As nice as the plastic containers look now days I just don't like them. Too much risk of bacteria and they don't last forever. Stainless or bust!

I love the idea of wood barrels but the maintenance and the fact that they only last a couple years from what I am reading deters me away from them. When we start getting bigger and doing consistent bigger batches I am sure I will purchase a barrel or two.

Thank you for all of your replies!

Last edited:
If you go with half-kegs, then why not simply get a half keg of beer? your local should have a variety to choose from and (even with a deposit) should be a lot cheaper than $150... Spend less and have a keg party!

Barrels will last for as long as you take good care of them. They may only impart oak for several years but once they are neutral then you add your own oak of choice, be it staves, beans, spirals......

I love the idea of wood barrels but the maintenance and the fact that they only last a couple years from what I am reading deters me away from them.

If you go with half-kegs, then why not simply get a half keg of beer? your local should have a variety to choose from and (even with a deposit) should be a lot cheaper than $150... Spend less and have a keg party!

You could do that. But somebody had to pay for that keg. And we all know those don't cost 30 bucks to make. That is theft and not something I want to do. I'd end up stealing from the brewery itself as they probably are the ones that bought them. Either way money is coming out of someones pocket for my benefit. As a brewer I would hate if someone stole from my wine equipment so i won't do it to theirs.

The owner of our local beer distributer told me that the cost for the Keg is $30.00 in PA. I believe he said that is state regulated as they are cheaper in Tennessee he said. Scrap yards are not supposed to be able to take the barrels as scrap either..

Latest posts

Back