Best way to add sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstar26

Reaction score
What is the best way to add sugar to an active fermentation to keep the must going? IE: In the port i am going to be making I am planning on fermenting from 1.112 to 1.038 to get 10% then bump the sugar back up to 1.076 and ferment to 1.038 again to get the extra 5% for a total of 15% then fortify with brandy.

I usually just add sugar. You can make a simple syrup if you'd like to warm it; that might be best anyway as it won't need to be stirred in quite so vigorously...

you can take about a cup of the juice heat it to almost boiling then add whatever sugar you want to it and stir till dissolved let it cool then add back to the must, thats what I normally do always works fine for me as I feed my wines alot during fermentation

+1 to what Sirs wrote. This is what a commercial wine maker recommended to me many years ago and this is how I do it. Just be careful to keep the wine temperature around 150 degrees or less and stir. You have to let it cool before adding it back or it could whack out some of the yeast.

Latest posts

Back